Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
On my one hunt to Namibia, A PG hunt, I had an '06 and a 375 an meant to chose one or the other each morning on a whim-or-whatever. I started with the 375; I liked it and it performed superbly.

About half way through I mentioned to my PH I was going to switch to the '06 and he said, "why?" Stay with what is working so well. I came away with a great affection for this classic cartridge which, as I've said before, is The Great Cartridge--a blend of great power with a more than adequate trajectory, and very tolerable recoil.

That sounds almost exactly like my first safari. I took a .300 and a .375 on a plains game hunt. The .375 was mostly because I had dreamed of hunting Africa with a .375 and wanted to at least take one animal with it. We had a long truck ride to the hunting area to discuss the caliber choice and I could tell that he was steering me toward the smaller rifle and even mentioned how well his 7 x 57 worked a number of times. He also owned a .375.

After the normal sight check, we had a bit of time before dark to take a look for game. I asked which rifle and he was quick to suggest the .375. Putting them all in the same hole may have had something to do with it. :)After the first day there was no way in hell they wanted to even talk about switching to the small rifle. I played dumb and asked what happened to all the talk about smaller rifles, and was told that (and I quote) "We say that to everyone, because if you can't shoot the big one it makes it easier to talk you into the small one. The bigger the better, IF you can shoot it". There may be a bit of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" involved too.

Somehow I accidently became a .375 for everything guy for awhile, although it was never planned that way.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.