Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I will also note that a few shooters find rifle that didn't make them flinch back in the U.S. does cause a flinch when they shoot it almost every day on a plains game safari. Have seen the shooting ability of several hunters decline during a 10-day or 2-week safari as their magnum started wearing them down.

Of course, none of this could ever happen to any member of the Campfire.

Well maybe I'm just odd then, cause I can admit, that a flinch can occur when shooting a lot. I don't usually shoot a hundred rounds, with my 375H&H , in one outing. But I do a lot when shooting a sporting clays course, with my clays shotgun. As I get older I find I start having discipline troubles concerning trigger & gun control late in the round. It's like the yips in golf while putting. I just have no control over the shot. Drives me nuts. I'll go as far as admitting I've almost fallen out of the shooting stand before. LOL

With that said, I don't seem to have the same troubles while shooting, with a 10#+ 375H&H, 40 to 50 rounds at the range. Some bench but most off sticks. If I had to shoot that much on a plains game hunt in Africa my wallet would not be able to cover the fun. So I doubt I would have to worry about it.

I'm in the school that bigger is better when it comes to throwing bullets at animals. So my choice is and has been since the mid-90's the 375H&H for everything that I hunt here in the states. Although that will soon change with an addition of a 300H&H to the rack. But it won't be a mountain weight rifle either. I think most flinch and scope breakage comes from rifles that are to light in mass weight for caliber. I once owned a 700 mountain rifle made by Remington in an '06 that made me flinch every time I pulled trigger. Damn thing kick like a mule. And it did brake a fixed 4x Leupold to boot. I sold it to a fella that decided he need a real light rifle to hunt elk with.

Last edited by Wild_Bill_375; 09/29/14. Reason: Sorry it was not a Rem in the 06 mountain rifle it was a Ruger with the pencil barrel.