Originally Posted by ingwe
Quickie question for Model 70 guy. Not meaning to stir the pot. How many times have you hunted Africa?

The quickie answer would be 5 times; twice in South Africa, twice in Zimbabwe, and once in Mozambique.

The somewhat longer answer is that Africa is but one part of the world, and I've hunted 4 continents worth of it. This year focused mainly on Australia and my running total for this year is currently at 390 large animals, with the part that I consider most interesting being the 112 water buffalo that I shot on cull in the Northern Territory. That was quite an experience, and that particular opportunity would be hard to duplicate. Bear in mind that was one hunt this year and I've done 5 consecutive similar hunts. On the buffalo portion all shooting was done with a .458 including the incidentals.

My issue isn't what particular caliber someone recommends, as it would be hard to swing a dead cat in a gun-shop without knocking over several suitable plains game rifles. Its more the attitude that someone would presume to judge the abilities of someone he has never met before, and dictate what he is or isn't capable of.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.