The .375 is truly the one cartridge to pick if you only have one rifle and want to hunt the world. With 250-270 grain bullets, it will have the same trajectory as a 7X57, but still has the power to take anything on the planet.

If there's dangerous game (buff and Elephant especially) in the area, then the .375 is really a no-brainer. I get a shudder up my spine when I think about how many times I jumped off the truck in Matetsi with a .22 Hornet chasing small plains game. If we'd run into a pissed off buff or elephant, I would have been dependent on my PH to save my butt.

For duikers, klipspringers, etc. the .375 with solids will do much less damage than the 7X57. For deer sized game and up, the .375 will kill all of them with authority. As far as using your .375 for hunting deer in North America, you'll always have an entrance and exit would, and it destroys less meat than most mid-caliber cartridges.

The downside is that ammo is more expensive, and the recoil is more than some folks can handle.