Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by Derby_Dude

The Republicans here in Montana are trying to close the Republican primary to registered Republicans only which I favor. If this comes about I'll have to register as a Republican.

I grew up in NY and it was like that there. I hated it. The party doesn't have to try to pull votes from other parties that way. It gives them too much power and no checks.

Then again, I'm not happy with ballot laws here in Alabama.

If a candidate runs as a democract or republican they need 5000 signatures to be on the ballot. If they run in any other party they need 45,000 signatures.

I think part of our problem is that the two dominant parties are just too powerful. They are out of touch because they can be.

I've never been to Alabama so I leave that alone.

Here in Montana in the last primary election the Republican candidates were decided, for the most part, by the Democrats.

With closed primaries, at least on the Republican side, Republicans would be selected by Republicans not by Democrats. The last thing Democrats want is libertarian Republicans. conservative Republicans, or Tea Party Republicans in the state legislature as freedom might really break out. Heavens to murgatroyd!

Turn around is fair play.

Here in Montana, Republicans or the independents that tend to vote Republican in primaries do not cross over and vote and vote Democrat. The Democrats are fighting the closed Republican primary tooth and nail. The Democrat primary would still be open. By the way, all other parties have closed primaries or nominate for their candidates in convention.

If the closed Republican primary does happen than only the Democrats will have an open primary.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude