not much of a Tank Scholar, but via thiss of Bl thread and the movie, I've been reading on Wikipedia a fair amount this week...

Me too. From that Tanks-Encyclopedia web site I've become interested in this; the 1918 Mark A Whippet and the first hints of Blitzkrieg. Maybe the Krauts learned first because they were on the receiving end.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/gb/British_medium_Mark-A_whippet.php

[Linked Image]

Some units penetrated deep behind German lines, creating havoc. This was confirmed even more during the April 1918 Amiens offensive. One remains famous above all. The "Musical box", cut off its own unit, but roamed at will for nine hours behind the German lines, wiping out an entire camp battalion, a motorized column, destroying machine-gun nests and an artillery battery and even an observation balloon, before finally being silenced by direct gunfire. Many other performed some staggering exploits, and Whippet crews were among the most decorated of WWI.

Had never heard of this machine before this, interesting how we forget that these World Wars were still very much "on" right up until the end, no matter what hindsight tells us. There's a pretty good youtube attached to that page too.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744