Originally Posted by bruinruin
I can't really afford it, but the fact is that my 10 year old quad is getting a bit tired of keeping up with all the snowplowing and mowing chores around my place. The quad is a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin, carbureted and while it's done a good job, it's getting older and certainly won't last forever, even though I've only put about 340 hours on it since I bought it new in July of 2005.

I found this tractor for sale a couple hours away with less than 60 hours on it. It has a front loader and an aftermarket back blade. Primary uses for the tractor would be snow removal, moving a bit of dirt here and there in an effort to get our yard done after only 11 years of living here, collecting firewood and just general use around my 40 acres.

Massey-Ferguson 1526

If I buy it, I'd sell the quad to offset some of the $14,500 asking price and eventually outfit it with a front blower, brush hog and tiller for our small garden. Seems just the perfect size for what needs doing around my place.

Anyone care to offer input on the M-F brand? Care and feeding?

I was in a situation similar to yours at this beginning of this year.

I have 16 acres and owned a quad I never rode and an old Farmall Cub that was handy for mowing and plowing/discing my garden, and that was about it. I sold both and bought a Massey Ferguson 1734E, 4wd, front end loader, box blade, and a brush hog. Since then I have picked up an old Pittsburgh-Taylor double bottom plow, a set of discs, cultivators [as you can tell, I like to farm] and an old wagon [for firewood.] Chuck your chainsaw and milk crate full of tools, fuel, spare chains, etc. into the bucket and cut firewood until you can't cut anymore.

Best decision I ever made. The back blade you speak of [with an adjustable angle?] will do wonders with the snow [that will be my next purchase,] and you will find a million and one uses for the front end loader. After using it all summer, I can't imagine how I made it this long without one. Pretty soon, you will come up with new projects just so you can play on your new machine, as it is more fun than any four wheeler!

So far, with over 30 hours, my Massey is running just fine. Sips fuel, plenty of power (34hp,) and it goes anywhere I point it. Just keep the fluids changed per the manufacturers guidelines and use their recommended or name branded fluids.

As for implements, keep an eye out on Craigslist as there are always used ones for sale that are cheaper than new, and if they are older, usually built a damn sight heavier.

If it makes you feel better, since purchasing my place back in 2010, my Massey was the best decision I've made yet.

Hope that helps.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."