Originally Posted by SamOlson
We have 2 block plug heaters and a coolant pump type heater on the loaders. Use the pump unless it's really cold then we plug everything in.

And a tank full of #1 with some additive and the fancy synthetic engine oil. And the occasional shot of ether.

Nothing worse than dicking around for an hour or two in the morning trying to start a tractor.

Sam;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope this finds you and yours well and warm on this chilly morning.

Although I'm by no stretch either a diesel expert or live where it's extremely cold anymore, I did grow up with them in Saskabush and since moving here to BC we've had at least two diesel powered machines/vehicles on the place for over two decades.

I think it might be helpful if folks always remember two things with diesel engines, the first being that they need to be at full operating temperature to run correctly and efficiently.

The second is open for a wee bit of debate I suppose, but I've always contended that most engine or motor wear takes place in the time between a dead cold start and full running temperature.

As evidence I present all the diesel powered trucks that died premature deaths from folks using them in town to run for coffee or get the mail - which never brought them up to temperature and in many cases washed the cylinders.

You'll appreciate this I think Sam - a good friend in the Yukon told me that on his old Cummins Dodge he had an electric blanket heater for each battery, an oil pan heater and the block heater. He told me once, "When I plug it in Dwayne the lights in Dawson City go dim...." grin

Anyway Sam, not that you need it but I'm another former cold dweller and diesel engine enthusiast that whole heartedly agrees with your approach.

Oh, lastly though to the OP or anyone else - if the engine in question is a pre-chamber injection like our old '90 Jetta 1.6 or our Mitsubishi powered tractor is, then DO NOT use ether as it can blow the side of the intake off. Food for thought for sure, eh Sam? wink

Have a good weekend and do keep warm Sam.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/29/14.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"