Originally Posted by bruinruin
Well, I got the tractor home last Wednesday. I think I picked absolute worst possible day to do it, though. It took me about 3 hours to drive 140 miles, mostly due to road conditions, but also because I got into some pretty heavy lake-effect snow for the last 50 miles.

Once I got loaded up, I decided to head straight East to get inland and hopefully, away from that damn lake-effect mess. It didn't work out so well. 6 hours after the last chain binder snapped into place I pulled into my driveway.

[Linked Image]

Now I have a question for you diesel tractor owners. This little machine is due for an oil change. I have the filter, but I'm curious about what to use for oil. The manual indicates that I should use 10W-30 for the temps in my area. I'd like to use a synthetic for better flow at low temps, but I'm having a little trouble finding a diesel rated oil in that viscosity. Mostly what I'm finding is Rotella 15W-45 in either dino or synthetic.

What are you owners of smaller diesel tractors using for engine oil?
I use JD 10-30 diesel (manual recommended) in my JD 4210.. At the same time, I rarely keep mine in the unheated shed in the winter when temps drop to 0F or below..

If your manual has a list of recommended oils and viscosities, I'd pick one from that list.. Otherwise, consider Mobil-1 diesel 5-40..

Last edited by Redneck; 11/26/14.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!