^ I sort of agree. With any anything short of local towing, a diesel makes sense. If you don't tow you don't need a diesel.

Cons:
Diesel costs more up front.
Fuel is quite a bit more.
Newer diesels don't get the phenomenal mileage older ones do.
Maintenance is just a little bit more.
Repairs can be a lot more.

Pro:
You get most/all/more than all of the increased cost back at resale.
Power
Power
Power (especially at low RPM's)
Durability (but the rest of the truck can fall apart around the drivetrain)

I have a 2011 duramax. Gobs of power, but there are some issues. I suffer from fairly frequent regen's, which lower daily driving MPG to around 14.5. A gasser getting 11 MPG would be cheaper on fuel.

There is a fuel pump (CP4) that the big three use that is known to grenade at fairly low mileage. Some folks report it as early as 50,000 miles. It costs $13,000 or so to fix. I'll say that again. It costs $13,000 to fix. The pump is expensive and in the valley of the engine, and when it goes it sends metal through EVERYTHING fuel touches. All the rails, injectors need to be removed and replaced when the pump goes. You could buy a new gas engine and tranny for $13,000. The pump is made by Bosch and is not rated by Bosch to be run on the crappy SCAR rating U.S. ULSD gets. The big three run the pump anyway.

If I only towed locally, I would get a gasser. I tow maybe 4,000 miles a year, and a decent amount of it is at altitude and on grades. I have still considered switching to a gasser next go around (until I watch videos like the one I posted).