A few comments........

Forget about "need"......towing or not, If you like the power of a diesel is all that matters. No way a gas engine will make diesel power at a useable rpm. And no way will a gas engine be as economical under load. Your comment about the truck falling apart around the drivetrain.......diesel and gas trucks are the same except for the engine, a diesel engine under the hood won't make it fall apart any sooner.

That first gen CP4 isn't as good as the CP3 but you're making a bigger deal out of it than it is. (And btw, Ford and VW also use the CP4, not Dodge) You hear about the failures but there are tons of them out there with no problems. One friend works in a big diesel shop and LML's come in very seldom for an injector pump, and of those that fail most are on warranty. It's a hassle taking one out but some guys have switched to a CP3. Today's ultra low sulfur doesn't lubricate well and a fuel additive takes care of the problem. Simple. I don't care for the new body style but that CP4 pump wouldn't keep me from buying one. Also a Fass or Airdog is something to definitely use.......I lost a set of injectors to some real bad fuel and have been with a lift pump/separator ever since.