I'm sure gas will go back up again soon, but here, gas is $2.46 and diesel is $3.59. That's 46% higher!!

No way you're gonna get that diesel power out of a gasser, but there's no way you're going to get 46% better mileage out of the diesel (not current ones), either.

The honest truth is that you might get 14-15mpg hwy from a gasser, and you might get 17-18mpg out of a diesel.

Fifteen years ago, you'd do good to get 150k miles out of a gas engine. There's plenty that'll do 200-250k these days. Yes, a diesel CAN do more, but not without dropping a few thousand on injectors/lift pumps/etc.

I don't think longevity of a diesel is as much of a selling point, anymore (at least, not like it used to be), vs. the gas. I don't think mileage is, either (not unless the prices of gas and diesel equalize). Resale?? You get more from the diesel, but you pay more, too, so I'd say that could be debated.

I'd say the real determinant is whether or not you're towing 10,000 lbs or more (and doing it frequently). Once you get above that, the power differences are much more obvious. You'll be revving the heck out of the gasser, while that diesel just chugs along.

Stripper Ford gasser 4x4 crew cabs can be found here for $32-$33k. The stripper diesels start at $44k. Not for sure about the Dodge's, but I bet the price difference is similar.