Originally Posted by simonkenton7
rattler: There are two ways to go if you have hypothyroid. If you go to a doctor he will probably put you on synthroid, a synthetic thyroid hormone.
Like I said, I tried that for a week and it didn't work for me.

You may find a doc who will put you on Armour Thyroid, which is just freeze dried pig thyroid gland, made into pills.
I was on this stuff for years. It worked pretty well for me.

But then, a guy at a health food store explained to me that probably my thyroid was still functioning, but needed support with mineral supplements.

Let's take your heart. It runs on sodium and potassium. If your potassium gets too low, you will die of a heart attack. I was working in the ER, and worked on, and watched a 34 year old man die because he was low on potassium. He needed mineral supplements. Had he just drank a glass of V8 juice that morning, which is loaded with potassium, he would not even have gotten sick.

In the same manner, the thyroid needs minerals. It needs iodine, selenium, and iron.
In the healthy thyroid gland, a person gets enough of these minerals in his diet to provide good thyroid function.
However, if the thyroid gland is damaged, as mine is, you need to supplement these 3 minerals.

Now bear in mind, I had been treated by MDs for over a decade, with mixed results, and then I got this advice from a guy in a health food store about the mineral supplements. I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried them.
I have been on the iodine, selenium, and iron for 2 years and I am in pretty good shape, my thyroid functioning is back up to about 90 percent of normal. No more Armour Thyroid for me.

Hypothyroid is very difficult to treat, I saw 8 different doctors and most of them didn't know what they were doing.

As bad as hypothyroid is to deal with today, it is really scary to think about having to deal with it in a survival situation. That is the great thing about these supplements from the health food store. They are cheap, and keep a long time. You can stock up with a 2 years supply of this stuff, for peanuts.

im on synthroid, have been for a couple years.....seems like things change rougly every year and ive got to bump the dose some....the hell with SHTF scenarios just figure its in my best interest to keep my thyroid, or whats left of it, as healthy as possible as long as possible....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books