I grew up along the edge of the Blue Ridge mountains in Northern Va sandwiched between dairy farms (Catlett Va). In 1976 (16yrs old) I bought a Rem 788 in a 6mm Rem from Rankins Hardware $129 to deer hunt with. That spring and summer (77) I discovered the enormous population of groundhogs on the 20 plus farms within a few miles of our property. I enlisted a buddy of mine (Win 88 .243). We would take a card table two lawn chairs and a backback to rest the rifles on and set up on a field (both rifles wore 3X9X40 Bushnell Banners). We learned how to hit "hogs" out to 400 yds. The local farmers referred to us as the "groundhog boys" and would call our Dads and ask if we would come to their farm to help in the eradication of the varmits on their property. This required a lot of ammo. The summer of 77 I went to Clark Brothers Gun shop, Opal Va and bought a Rock Chucker kit and IMR 4350 and Sierra 85 gr HPBT (Dies for a 6mm and .243). Gained access to a lot of deer land. Hunting, reloading, and people seemed less complicated in 1977. I still have that Sierra manual with all my notes/loads.

Last edited by Moses; 02/21/15.