I bought my 1st rifle after I came back from college and went to work full time, a $100 worth of fajen stocked step barreled sporterized 03A3 '06 and was learning to shoot using milsurp stuff bought at 10 for a dollar prices in a paper sandwich bag at a time. Cheap scope, cheap ammo and a steel butt plate were not making me a happy newby and would barely hold a pie plate group at 100 yards. Told my Grand Pop, a horse/ or anything else trader what I was shooting when I turned him down on a 1st time invite to go deer hunting with him about the time I told him I was getting married that weekend instead. 2 weeks later he called and offered me a huge discount as a wedding present on a funny sounding furrin' rifle he'd taken as collateral for a personal loan for a guy and foreclosed on...that came with 5 box's of reloads.

That Redfield 3x9 & SAKO 243'd shoot those 75grHP's and 87gr SP's dang near in one hole...and the '06 went down the road traded on a new shotgun.

I could not find the same quality of ammo in a 243 factory load, and while it wasn't as bad accuracy wise as the '06's milsurp stuff had been it was very easy to build something better even on the cigar box & dipper Lee setup.

My 2nd married Christmas present from the Better Half in 1968 was a cigar box Lee setup (I still have it) and all the supplies...and the Austin TX made rubbery tupperware 20 round slip top box's the original reloads came in...with the little no rattle bullet guides in the bottom of each segament, are full of 270 ammo right now. In the pusing 50 years I've been around, or sold at wholesale reloading stuff, I've never seen any of these 20Round flip tops like those I got as used in 1967....wish't I kept that SAKO & scope I paid $160 for in '67 too...
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 02/22/15.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.