Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
I suppose it could be seen as overly aggressive. If it was taken that way, I do apologize.

But again it was my opinion.

And we've all got opinions, but... I still fail to see how hanging a trophy on the wall makes me a better hunter, shows more respect for the animal, or makes my hunt better than the fellow who elects to simply take some photos... Or maybe takes home one or two skull mounts and a flat skin, rather than a museum full of taxidermy mounts.

The actual physical trophy on the wall means very little more to me than does a photo on the wall - often the photo means more as it probably has me, as well as my sons, my father, or my friends with whom I shared the hunt.

Ah well. Different opinions.

As some have stated, there is almost no more room in my home for more "stuff" hanging on the walls. I've taken to giving away trophies in recent years. Not that I had anything all that splendid I suppose anyway.

Always a learning experience here at The Fire.

Feel free to completely disregard my opinion as I've not yet hunted Africa. grin

Regards, Guy

Hi Guy,

Your opinion is as valid as is anyones, regardless you've been to Africa or not.

Would you feel it's OK to shoot a Mule Deer here in the USA, take pictures and walk away?

I don't think it makes you a better hunter, in my opinion, it makes you a more responsible sportsman. You've taken the steps to personally be completely responsible for the entire process.

This is a relatively new mindset. I feel it's a product of the internet. We just desire megapixel proof we've been to Africa. Slathering Facebook with hunting TROPHY pictures is all to common. Truth be known it will be the end of international sport hunting. We as sportsmen have been responsible for the rapid coming end of hunting Elephants and Lions.

My wife told me back in 2004, "You better go kill a lion before its too late" I did, she was right. She also told me the same about polar bear hunting and it was too late.

We are guilty of creating our own demise. I have a personal philosophy about how we should conduct ourselves in public and on the internet about this. "The first rule of fight club…..don't talk about fight club."

If those who would stop our sport can't see it happening, they can't stop that which they don't know.