As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I gave away my best kudu head to my PH. My wife and I already had several at home, and this one didn't exactly dwarf the others.

But it was also the biggest the PH had ever guided anybody to, and since he owns a sporting goods store and didn't have a big kudu head in the store, the choice was pretty easy. I enjoyed the hunt a lot, since it took over two weeks to find a kudu big enough to tempt me, and I have a great photo of me and Rob and his head tracker Clifton, sitting behind the bull. We're all happy--in fact I remember thanking Clifton for his excellent tracking after we killed the bull.

We'd jumped the kudu once without a shot, and then Clifton and I climbed a big hill after it, getting within 100 yards before jumping it again--but this time I had a chance and made a good running shot. After I thanked Clifton, he said, "Oh no sir, thank YOU, for shooting the kudu dead!" I have the photo and a letter from Clifton on the wall of my office, excellent trophies that bring back that day perhaps even better than any mounted head. And I know the other trophy is in a fine place as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck