Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I am sure the OP really appreciates ALL of this.

Ha! Well truth be told I'm not sure what to do now. The whole reason for this was that I have a .308 Vanguard of the old type that a friend gave me. He couldn't get it to shoot for chit, and said I could keep it. I cut and recrowned the barrel, as the crown didn't look good. Still didn't shoot. Tried a bunch of different loads without success. I determined I would get it to shoot at least halfway decent, to the point where I didn't feel bad about selling it to someone and send it down the road. Proceeds were to go towards one of the rifles in question.

I decided to try redoing the bedding,even though it looked good. I dug it out with a Dremel, and just for kicks I shot it. It shot better than it had been, by far. So, I dug out the remaining bedding and did a quick bedding job on it. Got home tonight and took it apart. Turns out PAM is not a great release agent. Had no ammo left, but had some Hornady 130's on the bench and some Varget handy, so real quick loaded up 4 rounds. I had a target set up at about 60 yards where I had been shooting it before, and the best it had done was about 2 inches. I fired one, tightened up the action screws and fired a quick 3 shot group, with all bullets touching. Sooo...now I have to get some proper bullets, mount a real scope and see whats what. I even skipped stopping in at the LGS on the way home so I could do some quick testing and verify that it had to be sold. Maybe it'll only shoot so-so with heavier bullets though, and I can still sell it and buy a new rifle...