Originally Posted by SNAP

I handload for ALL of these and never need factory ammo, that is for novices and imbeciles who "forget" their ammo; it is largely a gunrag myth.

I am one of those "imbeciles" that has forgotten their ammo in one case and arrived at hunting camp with the wrong ammo in another. The forgotten ammo wasn't a big deal as we (Big Bro, some of my daughters and myself) were just headed to the shooting range, but the problem wasn't discovered until we were at the range ready to load up. An 80-minute round-trip back home for ammo wasn't in the cards. Fortunately Big Bro had brought a lot of .45ACP so we shot pistols rather than my rifles.

The case where I forgot my ammo was more problematic. Actually I had the ammo for the two rifles I had ***originally*** intended to take, but a last-second change in one of the rifles left me at hunting camp with the correct ammo for only one. This time the round-trip time to go home for ammo was about 10 hours and definitely out of the question.

The point is that stuff happens. In a pinch I'd much rather try to find .30-06 or 7mm RM or .270 than .280 Rem, whether standard or AI. Chances are good one of my hunting buddies could loan me a few rounds of the more common stuff.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/23/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.