Originally Posted by GuyM
Thanks for all the input guys.

I hunt mostly with a .25-06, or often with the .30-06, have a pair of Rem 700's. They've served me just fine and I've been handloading for a long time.

Why he's so enthusiastic about the .280 AI in particular eludes me, but he is, and it's his money.

I thought I'd explore the issue a little farther here and on the Nosler forum, in case there was something I'd missed. Strongly suspect that he'll have a very nice .280 AI on his hands soon... Despite my urging him towards the .270 or .30-06 instead.

Regards, Guy

When I wanted a Ruger #1, nothing but a #1 would suffice.

Scratched that itch (with a .280 Rem), then sold the #1 because it really didn't suit my hunting needs. No regrets. Your friend may discover himself in essentially the same situation, with a rifle that scratches an itch but doesn't really solve any issues.

But, hey - its OK to scratch the itch.

Now I have a new Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather .280 Rem which suits my needs much better. And I have an itch for a #1 in .45-70 to pair with my Marlin 1895...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.