Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think the 280AI is a pretty good cartridge,sandwiched as it is, between a 280 and a 7 Rem Mag.(Which is a pretty narrow niche itself).

But can anyone tell me what's so magical about it,and what it does (in the same action and barrel length) that a 7 Rem Mag doesn't? confused

Don't get me wrong I understand the "want" part when it comes to rifle cartridges,which is reason enough to get one. But some of the claims here leave me perplexed. crazy

I usually avoid kicking hornet's nests but figured I would make an exception here. My curiosity has the best of me. smile

You and I have chatted on this subject before, so please forgive me if I repeat myself. I am an unabashed fan of the 280AI and have been so for nigh on 30 years now, having shot untold numbers of game with it. I love it because is does come close to the 7mm RM without the blast (which you respectfully disagree on and I understand). I get 3200+ fps with my 140 grain Noslers and if that ain't close to 7mm RM velocities I'm a Chinese rocket pilot. I also get significantly longer case life out of my handloads...pretty much 4x vs 10-12x in comparison. I'm on the fence regarding felt recoil....I think the AI is less, but if a person says they can't feel the difference, I don't get twisted about it. I have found it to be very very easy to handload and get little bitty groups with very little work.

But most of all, I just wanted it. And that was enough to justify the purchase. Besides, it is an extremely sexy looking round...looks all business in my eyes!

That being said, if the OP does not handload, then by all means NO....get a 30/06, 270, 7mm RM, etc...the factory loadings of the AI are extremely anemic in my opinion and he would gain nothing over a standard 280.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.