Home
Here ya go Benny boy! Post 'em here fellas!!!
whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The end result... (not including the grinner grin)

[Linked Image]

Ben
Way to kick off the new year! Looking forward to contributing to this thread soon.
To bad Coyotes don't count or I'd a posted up this one I picked up on New Years day.

[Linked Image]
That's included in the 'etc' part of the title.....all of god's deceased critters are welcome here.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
That's included in the 'etc' part of the title.....all of god's deceased critters are welcome here.....

Yeah, we don't discriminate... grin
Tommorow...I'll be hunting wabbits..... grin
I miss Montucky wabbits... they're much more "naive" out there than back here! laugh
Yes, anything dead varmint is allowed here!
Hopefully I'll get my red dot up and running on my rifle this Monday and I can chase squirrels and other things with it. It's been two days this year and I haven't whacked a squirrel.

I'm lagging laugh

Well in that case...

[Linked Image]

I haven't called in almost a year. Got a chance to get out today and wanted to try out my .25-06 deer load and just happened to call up a test candidate. 117 gr. Hornady BTSP over 50 grains of IMR 4350. He hung up at 175 yards but that proved close enough! Young male, he's about the smallest coyote I've shot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
New Years day...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Would a normal person use a 12 gauge slug meant to bring down a deer for a ground squirrel?

[Linked Image]

Good thing I am not normal, give me some time and I will find a squirrel stupid enough to hang around too long.

grin grin grin
Got some more "limb bacon" yesterday with the Curs... grin

[Linked Image]

Also pinched another possum this morning, but we let the little booger go..

[Linked Image]

Winnie, I'm sure those slugs would leave a lasting impression on a ground squirrel.. grin

Ben
My first contribution.....(this year) Hail Mary, mother of Grace...

[Linked Image]
I heard Indiana is going to be making rabbit and squirrel seasons much shorter; mainly because 2 kids that recently moved there from Montucky are greatly depleting the populations! laugh
BTDT. Boredom will make you do all sorts of non-standard stuff.
Originally Posted by 222Sako
I heard Indiana is going to be making rabbit and squirrel seasons much shorter; mainly because 2 kids that recently moved there from Montucky are greatly depleting the populations! laugh

Yeah, we only have until Jan 31 for squirrels, coons, and possums, and Feb 15 for rabbits.. Yeeesh...

Don, that is a gorgeous coyote! cool
Thanks, Ben. I musta missed it. When did you guys move? Was it tough changing schools?grin
We moved exactly one year ago.. We're not through with Montucky though.... wink
Nash snuck off and kilt 4 squirrels yesterday without me.. Mom snapped a pic of him through the window... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
Don, not to worry.
This Indiana distraction is a temporary thing. They will be back in the sagebrush before Nash is driving age at the latest.
Had a bit of unfinished family stuff to take care of here.
I gotta say that I am proud of them for not complaining, they just go on huntin and trapping what they can and make the best of it.
I will warn you, I got a feeling that when mtcurman has some driving experience they are gonna make a road trip your way.
Good to hear you guys are headed back this way...the east is no place for decent people...

Am glad to see the boys embracing it and killing the local fauna it has to offer grin
Originally Posted by Downstream

I will warn you, I got a feeling that when mtcurman has some driving experience they are gonna make a road trip your way.

Geoff, have 'em bring the ol' man, too.
Don, that is an invite that I will hold you to! I'd have as much fun as them i'm sure.
I better line up more prairie dog ground......
ingwe, you also are on that must visit list. We been without gophers for too long now! I kinda miss all those non-edible rodents that the west has available.
Well, you guys better hurry because we have a plan for their total eradication ... grin
Pinched this guy in a Duke DP this morning... cool Nash caught one yesterday but he was too little so we turned him loose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben
grin
Ingwe, on a side note, have you made any pot pies yet this year?? We had one tonight and a couple earlier this week(with squirrel, naturally) and they were some good eating! laugh
Odd you mention that, Ive got a dozen or so fox squirrels in the freezer and was just thinking of making pot opie...had fried squirrel and camp spuds with squirrel gravy the other night grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That looks very very good... grin
Make that 3 coons in 3 days.. grin

[Linked Image]

Had a little gully washer today also... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
Ben, are you running the coons with dogs, or calling them?

Ive gotten interested in calling lately but its too cold here yet....
mtcurman, neat pics. Where you located here in Indiana? I'm up in the NW part of the state, north of Lafayette.

ingwe, them fried "limb chickens" and spuds look right tasty. I had some chowder last nite.

maddog
"Yeah, we don't discriminate... grin" we eradicate!

mtcurman,

There I added to it for you.

Jim
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ben, are you running the coons with dogs, or calling them?

Ive gotten interested in calling lately but its too cold here yet....

These ones are all trapped. We have been having some warm weather though so we are planning on hitting them pretty hard with our dogs.

Originally Posted by maddog
mtcurman, neat pics. Where you located here in Indiana? I'm up in the NW part of the state, north of Lafayette.

maddog

Maddog, Switzerland County down in southern IN..

Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
"Yeah, we don't discriminate... grin" we eradicate!

mtcurman,

There I added to it for you.

Jim

cool cool
whistle

[Linked Image]
Hope you get some action in a different set. I'm gettin tired of seeing every coon picture with the same culvert in the background.
Don't lissen to that yayhoo, Ben. You NEVER abandon a producing set.grin.

Sick of that culvert or not, he's really loving it....
whistle grin

[Linked Image]

Don't worry Don, I won't be pulling this set any time soon! grin
Keep ignoring him. That's a fine looking culvert.......
I'm going to order some more of the dogproof traps from Minnesota Trapline and then I'll set one on every dadgum culvert I can find!! laugh There's a couple really good looking culverts right here close to the house...
I removed the EVIL, Hi-Cap mag for the pic, so's it would balance on the post. And also not to offend alla you's assault rifle/hicap mag, gun ban types on here.....

[Linked Image]
That is a very scary picture...to rabbits.. grin

Something's been stealing my trap bait the past two nights. mad I reset it to where the dog is just barely keeping it from snapping shut so whatever it is will trip the hair trigger and I'll have it in the morning...hopefully it's a big ol' boar coon! grin

Ben
If it is, you got this to beat......
[Linked Image]
There ya go, "Huntsman's pizzle swizzle stix"
I removed the EVIL, Hi-Cap mag for the pic, so's it would balance on the post. And also not to offend alla you's assault rifle/hicap mag, gun ban types on here.....

[Linked Image]

You 'assaulted' that rabbit! cry

I'm calling the president...
What are you calling him?
So much for my Cat trapping?
Dang Coyoties anyway.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Got 3 coons the last two nights with dogs, but no good pics, sorry.. frown I've hit a dry streak with the culvert set, but I have high hopes for the morning as always. Plus I have some new Duke DP's arriving from Minnesota Trapline tomorrow or Monday, so look out coons!!!

Ben
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Duckdog
[Linked Image]

Nice fur on that one Kevin.
Thanks Charlie!
She was a pretty coyote. Pretty pale for these parts.
Very nice coyote Duckdog!
Took the new to me 204 Montana out New Year's Day and killed these two
[Linked Image]
Then made it out last Saturday for these two
[Linked Image]
Then got this one sneaking in on a cat stand yesterday
[Linked Image]
Course she was kind of a bob tailed coyote
Looks like you're putting the new 204 to some good use! the top coyote in the first pic looks like a dandy.

I can't quite tell from the pic, but does the Leupold have the CDS on it?
Ya Lonny, if I ever decide on a load, I'll get a dedicated dial for it or maybe one in moa with a zero stop. Right now I'm shooting factory Hornady 40 gr v max's and they've been doing a pretty good job, the gun sure likes em.

Killed in late 2012, does it still count?
7RM 150gr BTSP. There should be another dead dog here but I missed him running.

[Linked Image]
Dogs have a coon treed in the back yard right now.
quick. go shoot him and put up the pic......
1 week ago from this past Sunday. Called it in just before dark. It slid into the caller on the ice at full speed and turned around and full speed out of there. I think my 2nd shot connected. Took 3 all together and about 50 yards out.

[Linked Image]
Hey, you can't hunt with an AR-15!!!! It's only for killing people!
I sweet talked these bandits into holding my rifle for a quick pic this morning... wink

[Linked Image]
Nice work Kevin!
Had a little luck myself this morning.
33# Stretched 40" grin
[Linked Image]
Field Grade, you must live in bobcat heaven..nice cat, but those dogs are really beautiful looking friends..we were just talking about getting a cur dog for our place..but that would make the house hold pretty crowded...nice work..
Nice lookin cat there Famous Potatoes!!! wink
(I guess I didn't realize that was Idaho's slogan)

I missed an opportunity on a cat last weekend. frown
Still bummed about it.

Tell me a story Charlie! Trapped? Treed? Called?
And...which dog is that hanging in the back looking totally unimpressed with the photo session?
That's old Pete (RePete get it LOL) making one of his rare apearances outside after bird season ends.
The dogs jump in the truck everytime the tailgates down reguardless of wheather we're going somewhere or not. Well, cept for Sophie. She can't make the leap.

I actually trapped this one, but you know me. I'll take em any way I can get em.

WCH,,, Curs are small. They don't take up much room. wink
And yes,,, It's a Cat rich environment here this year.
Suprising how well predators do after two mild winters.
Lots of bunnies and game birds makes for some pretty "fat cats" too.
[Linked Image]

BTW Kevin,,,, Even though ID's famous for their potatoes, I have a heck of a time finding some decent Yukon Golds here. I think the good ones are imported from Mexico. laugh

Fat cat!!! Ya shoulda seen the coons I peeled yesterday! Sloppy fat!
Coulda give Rosie O'donnel a run for her money. wink

Ya ever try planting any Yukon golds?
I usually plant kennebecks. Love em!
My family's been planting them forever. They do a lot better in sandy soil, (which I don't have), but they're still good.
My Great Grandad's nickname was "Tater" he planted so many of them!
smile
No,,, I'm not much of a gardener.
I've got two 8' raised beds. One for matters, one for peppers.
Course all my neighbors put in big gardens so I get lots of surplus. Especially Zucchini frown grin .

Heading out now to PD fields, copy and pictures to follow...
Made a couple of stands this morning...

[Linked Image]
I really want to shoot the schit out of small critters. Squirrels are alright around here but I want to shoot gophers or prairie dogs
Live with what ya got Winnie! laugh

[Linked Image]

grin
Nice pic! grin
I went out today here in South Dakota and took 86 shots at prairie dogs, figure I hit about 50. My best run was 3 dogs with 3 shots at 452 yards. I walk and set up to shoot but stopped to take this picture. [Linked Image]

Was shooting my 220 Swift and 55 gr. Vmax.

Here is my normal setup:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Heading out now to PD fields, copy and pictures to follow...

Just got back about an hour ago, the weather was gorgeous and prairie dogs were plentiful. I had just gotten 2 new varmint rifles and had to get them bloodied.

A Sako Pre-Garcia heavy barrel in 243 and a Weatherby Mark V Varmintmaster in 22-250. They both killed a few. It isn't easy rotating between so many guns and finding how much you like each one...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice work Shrapnel, it sure was a beautiful day.
Good to see those pretty rifles out working. I need to get an ugly one out and do the same.
Great job Shrapnel! Beautiful rifles as well. smile
[Linked Image]
What, no Nylon 66 and Red Dot of Doom?
The Nylon is fun for light work. But bunnies is serious business.

I think I'm selling the Nylon anyway. Let me know if you want it.

Travis
Winnie, just drive to the northeast corner of Calif. You will be able to burn your barrel up. ED
I had lots of luck in Red Bluff. I am trying to think of an excuse to drive there again... still have a pig tag. grin
Different kind of ground squirrel up here(Modoc County), smaller and short tailed. Beldings Ground Squirrel aka sage rat, squeek, gopher. Ed
Man, the first day those sage rats pop up through the snow, I'm there! Too damn cold for them to even move right now. I have two new rifles/calibers with 0 kills...got cabin fever bad. At least I have time to catch up on my reloading. Got lots of 20 cal Zmax to prepare. Really cant wait to see what the 17H will do.
I awready posted them pics....grin
I got 2 new rifles to blood this year too. 221 fireball and a 17 fireball. The little buggers should start up in about a month. Love that red mist lol. ED
Great, I have the one in between you...20 VT. I wanna make some cherry snow cones this year. Did you see the Nosler 221 brass is in?
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
Yes, anything dead varmint is allowed here!

[Linked Image]
Been slowly whittling away at the varmints...

[Linked Image]

This varmint is all we could tree while we were coon hunting... He was only about 10 feet up the tree.. grin He's still alive unless he decided to cross a road! grin

[Linked Image]

We got 2 rabbits in about an hour hunting with our neighbor and his beagles.. No pics, but it was fun!

Squirrel and coon season closes tomorrow, cry so we're going to have to stock up on squirrel meat..
Ben, you boys gotta quit killin' stuff anyway...I got a lot of catching up to do!!
I get my new rifle next Monday. Hopefully I will kill a squirrel or something else with it... grin
[Linked Image]
Fine lookin Cur there Fieldgrade.
Nash and Ben got some good use out of Nash's male dog this morning with a daytime coon while they were squirrel hunting.
Best move I ever made was switching to Curs when they were little guys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Had a good last day of coon trapping... smile In addition to the incidental that Dad posted, we got 2 coon and a 'possum..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I spy a coon... grin

[Linked Image]

"White trash"... laugh

[Linked Image]

Ben
Forgot one... grin

This is wabbit meat, not coon... grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
Originally Posted by Downstream
Fine lookin Cur there Fieldgrade.

Thanks Downstream
Nothing wrong with an incidental Coon. My Sally dog did that last year while checking traps. She had one in a tree and I had one in one of my Cat traps within fifty feet of each other. Pretty funny but ya really had to be there to appreciate it.
Especially when you consider that we don't hunt or trap Coon.
I never pass up an opportunity to remind her that mine was bigger though. LOL
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
One more this morning...

[Linked Image]
you got both fronts?
I asked my boss who knows all the big ranchers in the area if he knew anyone with squirrel problems, he said he will ask around for me... Might get to start burning the barrel on the Marlin when it gets here... grin
hate to be acting like a leftist liberal here.. but I get like that concerning Raccoons... how can you guys trap or shoot such cute little critters?

never been able to do it myself... I have had a few as pets in my younger life...

I like a raccoon as much as I like a dog...

now shooting Cats? No problem...

but some of those pics of poor Raccoons in traps? guess you can call me a bleeding heart, when it comes to that...
you got both fronts?

No,,, trick photography. LOL
[Linked Image]

I did catch a Coyote with both this year tough.
Dumb Coyotes anyways.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Seafire
hate to be acting like a leftist liberal here.. but I get like that concerning Raccoons... how can you guys trap or shoot such cute little critters?

never been able to do it myself... I have had a few as pets in my younger life...

I like a raccoon as much as I like a dog... now shooting Cats? No problem...
but some of those pics of poor Raccoons in traps? guess you can call me a bleeding heart, when it comes to that...

LOL
Typical bunny hugger (I only care about protecting the "cute" animals) mentality.
Good luck with it around here. Or any hunting/trapping forum for that matter.

Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Nice work Kevin!
Had a little luck myself this morning.
33# Stretched 40" grin
[Linked Image]

Very nice looking cat...would make a beautiful mount.
Pay him no mind, Fieldgrade.
He's been delusional for a bit now, on ALOT of things.
Maybe he's going through an "I'm Daniel Boone" phase.
grin
[Linked Image]

If that isn't an image of Tom 'n Huck, I don't know what is...

You boys are officially invited to the Prairie Dog invitational in Montana this spring...
a leftist liberal here.. I get like that concerning Raccoons... how can you guys trap or shoot such cute little critters?.
pics of poor Raccoons in traps? you can call me a bleeding heart

Yep. A coon, is a dog, is a boy. Murderers!

This'un did a bit of gnawing. Your heart will bleed, and your poozy will pucker......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Why, he coulda just pulled back ONCE, and been FREE, FREE, FREE.....All be it, 3 legged.
I'm allot more sensative to Seafire's emotions than you are so I folded this ones foot under so he couldn't see it.
Kinda like buying hamburger at the store. The same kind of "If I didn't see it killed it didn't happen" mentality if ya know what I mean.
[Linked Image]

On that same subject,,,, Moscow Fur and Hide currently has an ad in our local paper reading, "Now excepting Coon without bullet holes in the head and good feet" LOL.
get out the conibears.....
Bet those Coon cuffs help prevent chewing too.
Course ya still have the dispatch thing which can be a PITA with a choke pole since coons don't have much of a neck to get hold of.

I'm sure you and Ben already know all of this.
I'm really just saying it for Seafires benefit. grin
PITA.....Thats the fun part. grin
Racoons cute? Yes.
Carry rabies? Yes.
Need to die? Yes.

LOL
Typical bunny hugger (I only care about protecting the "cute" animals) mentality.

Oh I am sorry... if we don't want to blow the crap out of any animal that walks, suddenly we have to turn in our macho man card? I just happen to like Raccoons.. ya wanna kill them, that is your business.. I don't want to, that is my business..

All I stated is I won't do to them what you guys enjoy doing to the little guys.... ya wanna feel macho over it, knock yourself out.
Originally Posted by wageslave
grin

Reading some of your posts, definitely shows your qualifications on deciding who is dillusional, and who isn't...

Party on Garth....

we both share mutual appreciation for each other...

which isn't saying much for my opinion of your opinions..
a leftist liberal here.. I get like that concerning Raccoons... how can you guys trap or shoot such cute little critters?.
pics of poor Raccoons in traps? you can call me a bleeding heart

Yep. A coon, is a dog, is a boy. Murderers!

if you want to quote me on something, how about at least have the courtesy to not modify it to meet your desired specs, to have it say what YOU want it to SAY....

If I strike you as a liberal.. pardon me while I laugh my asss off over that one...

LOL

Oh I am sorry... if we don't want to blow the crap out of any animal that walks, suddenly we have to turn in our macho man card? I just happen to like Raccoons.. ya wanna kill them, that is your business.. I don't want to, that is my business..

All I stated is I won't do to them what you guys enjoy doing to the little guys.... ya wanna feel macho over it, knock yourself out.

Hey,,, read the title of the thread dumb ass.

And don't pass judgement on me as someone who simply kills every animal I come in contact with so's I can feel "Macho", when the fact is that I "LEGALLY" hunt and trap predators for the fur and NEVER kill em when the fur isn't prime.
Labeling me as someone who simply kills chit for "enjoyment" when I pride myself on my ethics makes me want to tell you to go [bleep] yourself.

Far as I can tell, you're nothing but a bunny hugging cry baby and a big ol hypocrit since you say it's ok to kill Cats but not Coon because they're cute (your words, not mine) anyway.

Oh yea,,, almost forgot.

GFY

grin

Reading some of your posts, definitely shows your qualifications on deciding who is dillusional, and who isn't...

Party on Garth....

So let me get this straight.......
I'm off ignore again or on?
You can't seem to decide.
I'm always on ignore but you search out my posts?

dillusional = Seabiscuit

we both share mutual appreciation for each other????.....
I'm on double secret ignore, but you appriciate me?????

TFF.
[Linked Image]
That's pretty darn cool right there!!
Kit? I've never been able to tell the difference (if there is one) between a kit and a swift. Doesn't much matter...we don't have em.

Now Charlie... tisk tisk tisk...
You oughta know better than to try to justify yourself to a bleeding heart about killing.
How about all those teeny tiny, cute as a little button, ground skwirls?? wink
I'll bet you enjoy the [bleep] out of that!!! smile

I make no bones about it...I've enjoyed every shot at every critter I've ever killed. That's a fact.

My best come back line ever:
This guy at work was trying to make some kind of statement by announcing,
"I only kill what I'm going to eat or use"
Without missing a beat, I said..."Really, do you lick the bugs off your windshield too?" smile

prairie swift
Didn't say I eat every thing I kill.
Matter of fact, I specifically said I hunt/trap "Predators" for the fur, and pointed out that I do it legally and as humanly as possible, so like you, I don't feel a need to apologise to anyone.
I simply called the dumb ass on his hypocracy cause if saying it's ok to kill Cats but Coons are to cute for killing isn't hypocritical I don't know what is.
If I want to see or hear hypocracy, I'll turn on the news.
Crap... I didn't mean to imply that you were like the guy that said that, or that you said that... Just a funny story.
And...just cuz. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So they play Pinochle???
Yep!! I only shoot the cheaters. wink
(contest)
Guess I read that wrong.
I still ain't apologizing to the bunny hugger for killing a couple Coons though. LOL
Apologizing is a sign of weakness, son.....
Field Grade....

you need to mellow out some there....

No one criticized you.. I just said I wasn't into shooting Raccoons...

and suddenly from that, you assume and start calling me a dumbass, a hypocrite, 'typical bunny hugger', a crybaby etc...

and then I'm a hypocrite because I condone shooting cats..

I've shot ONE cat in my life.. and that was about 1989, up in Washington, and way out in the woods, where there was a cat that was so full of mange and sickly, I put him out of his misery...

I joke about shooting cats, just because I don't care for them.. I don't shoot raccoons because I like them.... that is my personal choice, just as what you do is your choice...

I didn't argue against it or condemn you for doing so, I just said I couldn't or wouldn't do.... no more than differences of opinions.. on ONE subject.

sage rats, and other vermin targets of opportunity, I don't have a problem with as I shoot many of those... guess that makes me a hypocrite in your eyes also.. so be it..

I have no desire to ever go to Africa.. guess that makes me a bunny hugger also...

you owe me no apology as I feel no offense at you posting your opinions... but I do see your response as a little over reactionary...no one's trying to rain on your parade...

and Wageslave's comments, he just likes to show up and add his 2 cents when someone criticizes something I have to say.... he does it to impress his hero up in Alaska and some of his other buddies on the "Biggest Circle Jerk on the Internet EVAH" thread...

so there ya go...like it or not..
grin

Party on Garth....

So let me get this straight.......
I'm off ignore again or on?
You can't seem to decide.
I'm always on ignore but you search out my posts?

dillusional = Seabiscuit

we both share mutual appreciation for each other????.....
I'm on double secret ignore, but you appriciate me?????

TFF.

Okay Slavey.. guess the job search is sort of stagnant, or you'd be spending less time on the campfire....

but as usual, your reading comprehension is as good as your lack of knowledge on how to use spell check....even tho I was guilty of blanking out on spelling delusional correctly...as did you... along with 'appreciate' not "appriciate"

So I'll address your questions, and type this real slow, so you can read it real slow and give a chance to sink in real slow...because evidently regular speed isn't working real well for you...

1. You've been off ignore for a long time.. I deduced your antics were much more entertaining, than ignoring them... and I'd like to give credit where credit is due, you haven't disappointed me one bit...

2. NO I don't search out your posts... in fact, you are the one who shows up on my posts, ever vigilant to toss your 2 cents in where ever the opportunity presents itself... so who is seeking out whom? Give you a hint, it isn't me, so by deduction maybe even you are smart enough to figure that one out...

3. dillusional is spelled delusional
3a). Seabiscuit? you own an old race horse or something?
Seabiscut was a horse.. seafire is named after a WW2 Aircraft used by the Royal Navy...

4. 'sharing mutual appreciation ( not appriciation)" was sarcasm.. you understand sarcasm don't ya? Sarcasm is like me saying how intelligent I think you and some of your other buddies are on the "Biggest Circle Jerk on the Internet" thread are...

I like some of the guys on there.. others, I view as I view you... you can figure out who... why you are doing so, give my regards to Rancho Wacko...

hope you have a good day tomorrow there, Gilligan..

best regards ( that isn't sarcasm )
your buddy
'seabiscuit'
"7403354 - Yesterday at 03:40 PM Re: What does 223AI mean? [Re: fatjack34]
wageslave Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Idaho's only Seaport
He's like Seafire only older.
They both like to wrassle....

each other, mostly."

see what I mean Slavey....

you think of me, even when I am busy out making a living...and you are sitting at home collecting...

I should feel so honored... but somehow I don't..

you need a life Gilligan....you're wasting the one ya got now...
Take your "poor me" BS down the road cry baby.
You know what you said.
Seabiscuit,
Thank you.
You truly are the "gift" that keeps on giving.
You don't have a [bleep] clue........but you are a "gift".
I am now going to move on as I do feel bad about trashing up a
good thread and you are trash.
Come on over and we'll rehash it where it should be.
Loves,
Slave
Take your "poor me" BS down the road cry baby.
You know what you said.

Dear Field Grade;

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Please Kiss my ass at your earliest opportunity.

Have a great day and please enjoy yourself mutilating the local raccoons and other varmints of your choice over there in Idaho.. I know it will make you feel all the more manly-macho. I stand in awe of your prowess.

You really are THE MAN
!

Warmest Wishes & Best Regards! for a wonderful day!!
Seabiscuit,
Thank you.
You truly are the "gift" that keeps on giving.
You don't have a [bleep] clue........but you are a "gift".
I am now going to move on as I do feel bad about trashing up a
good thread and you are trash.
Come on over and we'll rehash it where it should be.
Loves,
Slave

Always the gentleman, you are Slavey!

When I get a '[bleep] clue' about you AND your buddies, I'll let you know!

Your Trailer Park Wisdom ALWAYS inspires me.... and I don't doubt your expertise on the subject of TRASH...

Next time I am over in Louie Town, I'll have to give you a call, and accept your invite...just remind me which Truck Stop it is that you hang out at!

Have a great day over there in the land of Moral Bliss!!

your friend and ardent admirer,
Seabiscuit..
LOL
Let it go Nancy.
you're the dummy that got his shorts in a knot Buttercup... not me... I have nothing to let go, as I had nothing I embraced...
So now hunting and trapping is "mutilation" (your words)...
You truly are an anti's wet dream....
Let it go Nancy.
Let it go Nancy.

ah, I can see you're the "I'm going to have the last word" kind of guy.... so Party on Garth..

and to the Ozzie..."Bugger Off Mate" is a term you'd probably understand best...don't make assumptions, evidently you are not very good at making them...
Can all you jag-offs take your arguments somewhere people will give a F***? This thread is for killin' varmints, not arguing over them.
Originally Posted by Bodei
Can all you jag-offs take your arguments somewhere people will give a F***? This thread is for killin' varmints, not arguing over them.

Sure can jag-off.
Better yet, why don't you change the subject by contributing something to it other than stories about varmints you're "gonna" kill.
zinger.......this is, a pic/kill thread, after all.......
Keep posting the trapped coon pics Charlie. Glad to see you are having a good year.

Have you ever had any luck calling coons or tried it?

Originally Posted by Lonny
Keep posting the trapped coon pics Charlie. Glad to see you are having a good year.

Have you ever had any luck calling coons or tried it?

Yea,,, I'm tearing up the Cats this year Lonny. 1 Called, 1 treed, and 2 trapped and still nine days left in the season.
Life's definatly been good in Charlieland this year. smile

Never have tried calling Coon Lonny. I've often thought about it though.
I really should try it as I know of a couple drainages across the river that should be good spots. I've heard it can get pretty "lively". Maybe next year. Hope my old ticker's up for the task. LOL
[Linked Image]
Dead stuff
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...
wink

[Linked Image]
Nice work Kevin.
Our season end next weekend so unless I get lucky and pick up another Cat this week, you and Huntsman'll have to carry the water until I can mutilate some gogers come spring.

ETA,, Hope no body around here had a pet Gofer when they were a kid.
I hear ya...
I've got 2 weekends left, and then I'm about done too.
I doubt I'll get to make many prairie dog shoots with my daughter's health issues either. But, maybe things will change for the better! smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Both around 75 yards... Sky rat did not blow up really from what I expected from the V Max... squirrel on the other hand did.
While I was shed hunting Friday and yesterday, there were gophers running around all over!!!
GTFO!!!!!

And you didnt call me????? cry
I didn't have a rifle and had antlers on the brain! The guy that owns this property will only let me shed hunt. I'm sure they are deep in their holes now with this weather we are getting. I drive by the ranch my pawpaw owns 3 days a week on my way to work. I've been keepin an eye out every time I drive by and will continue to do so until you grace the place with your presence. That is, if you provide me with a phone number to give you a heads up!
Ingwe, just a few snow gophs out at the ranch this afternoon. Won't be long!
PM sent..... grin
Glad to see this thread is revived... smile

Dad got this yote in a snare two days ago.

[Linked Image]

It was a really nice coyote for back here..

[Linked Image]

Here's an end of the 'line picture Nash and I took yesterday of our coon hides.

[Linked Image]

Ben
cool cool cool
Awesome Ben!
Here is a link to my new sage rat killin' video. Footage from last July.
Njoy... Sage rat vid
bodei, that is so, uhh, last year.......

can't wait to see this years production.
Them is some tough rats. You had to keep killing them. It sure was good you had Zombie bullets.
[Linked Image]

'Bang' and he just feel over...
That is why I have trouble warming up to the 17 HMR....

no red mist... just bang flop...

what fun is that???
I can get em to flip a foot or two with the HMR. It's really good for when the babies come out.
I can get em to flip a foot or two with the HMR. It's really good for when the babies come out.

What rounds are you running through it?

I am using 17 grain V Maxes and I want 'bang' and squirrel here and there...

Bouncing a bullet right in front of them will do that, but a 223 will bounce them 7 to 8 ft in the air, doing that same thing...

if I don't use a 223 ( and I load them to 22 Hornet or 218 Bee specs), then I go with the 22 LR.. headshots out to 125 yds with a good accurate 22....then watch them flop around like a fish out of water for a 20 to 30 yd radius...

17 HMR is too much power for that...

bank flop, is just not a fraction of the fun....
Guess I'm WAY over doing it with my 220 Swift and full power loads - can you say 'bits and pieces'? Once, in a dream, I was attacked by a prairie dog and ever since that horrible sleepless night I've always felt it critical to use enough gun. smile

Have I told you I also use a 6mm? smile smile
Originally Posted by Boise
I've always felt it critical to use enough gun.
I concur.......

[Linked Image]
So thats what happened to the last of the Pleistocene PDs.....
Originally Posted by Boise
I've always felt it critical to use enough gun.
I concur.......

[Linked Image]

grin
This one had his mind blown by the effect of the 17 grain V Max... grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Have I said I love my HMR?
that bob wire is gonna scratch yer bluing.....
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

What rounds are you running through it?

I am using 17 grain V Maxes and I want 'bang' and squirrel here and there...
Using the 17 grain Hornady Vmax, but that is on Belding's, not California G.S. A tad smaller animal. I even flipped one or two with a .22LR using the segmented hollow-point ammo. For "chunkage" I go with the .204 Ruger. This year I'll be trying the 20 VT and 17 Hornet, so stand by for new video...
that bob wire is gonna scratch yer bluing.....

It wasn't on the wire, the top of the barrel was resting on a knot of hay twine that was tied around the wire. Never touched the fence... grin
Didn't take any pics this year but I'm feeling left out so here's a couple oldies:

January 1, 2012:
[Linked Image]

Opening day, 2010:
[Linked Image]
BASTID! Cause of you I bought a Foxpro and had some raccoon fight sounds loaded into it...havent gotten it out yet....
Looking forward to contributing to this thread soon.
I wanna play, too!

Savage model 24V series D .357 mag over 20 gauge.

[Linked Image]

P
That's a big ole nutria!
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
That's a big ole nutria!

Yeah, he was a big 'un.

For reference, my son is 6' 8" and 325:

[Linked Image]

P
another 'etc'.....

[Linked Image]
BASTID! Cause of you I bought a Foxpro and had some raccoon fight sounds loaded into it...havent gotten it out yet....

Just something wrong with that there! shocked
More trapped etc... grin

[Linked Image]

It was VERY muddy today... The yote was all slippery to hold up! crazy
have I shown ya'll this'n yet?

[Linked Image]

not too bad fer standard velocity Wolf MT ...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One more

I want to kill an Etc... frown
Well, quit looking up in the trees......
[Linked Image]

Nice yote Don! Is that the new Fireball??

Here's another coyote I snared on the last day of February... It had some neat coloration on it's face.

[Linked Image]
Ben....once you are done killing all the varmints on the eastern seaboard, come on back to the Big Sky...

At the rate you are going, we should see you in a couple weeks grin
You should look for us late spring... whistle

...seriously. smile
EXCELLENT NEWS!
Look what my wife and I did today!!!!
[Linked Image]

Only shot 6 or 8 but we didnt go out just to shoot gophers. They were just targets of opportunity! Shouldnt be long and they will be out all over!
Excellent DT! cool

Any snow gophs yet Ingwe or Don?
Nope! Starting to get reports from all over of sightings though.....time to make a few phone calls to the Hi-Line grin
First of the year sage rats for me 2013 in Nor-Cal.
[Linked Image]
you ever gonna get the hornet lined out?

New bunny gun, I got it more for backup on bears, but testing it on bunnies gives you confidence...

[Linked Image]
Do the training bear bunnies bluff?
Thankfully this one didn't. I have had grizzlies bluff and I messed my pants. We had them at our cabin when I was a kid in the 60's and had a big male bluff. I ran to the house, jumped through the screen in the bedroom window, knowing I didn't have enough time to open the door.

If you haven't seen a Grizzly charge, you haven't really been scared...
I haven't and
I believe you.
Thankfully this one didn't. I have had grizzlies bluff and I messed my pants. We had them at our cabin when I was a kid in the 60's and had a big male bluff. I ran to the house, jumped through the screen in the bedroom window, knowing I didn't have enough time to open the door.

I bet the bear thanks the bear god every night for your mercy.

Travis
whore-gnat-icated another one..

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deflave

I bet the bear thanks the bear god every night for your mercy.

Travis

After spending his winters in caves, eating grubs and carion, he was wishing I would shoot him. You could hear him chuckle all the way back into the woods after he saw my watch and whatever else I left on the ground when I went through the screen...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You boys are officially invited to the Prairie Dog invitational in Montana this spring...

Shrapnel, I can't believe I missed this! Thank you very much for the invite! We are officially moving back out to MT this year.. We should be out by June at the latest. There's nothing Nash and I would like more than to go prairie doggin' with you! grin

Ben
Originally Posted by mtcurman
[Linked Image]

Shrapnel, I can't believe I missed this! Thank you very much for the invite! We are officially moving back out to MT this year.. We should be out by June at the latest. There's nothing Nash and I would like more than to go prairie doggin' with you! grin

Ben

That is a serious offer. Stay in touch, me and Rancho Loco can show you a good spot to warm up a barrel or 2...
Nash is ready for those charging bunnies and prairie dogs.. smile

[Linked Image]

Ben
I don't post all that often on this forum but after seeing some of the images of prairie dogs I've come to the conclusion that you're either catching and strangling them or just not using enough gun. I was out yesterday and figured I would share images of a couple vermin.

I turned this one inside out, do you see his little face?
[Linked Image]

This is one of my best hollowing shots, only bones left are his little paws and a stub near the tail.
[Linked Image]

Even when I double the carnage is extensive.
[Linked Image]
Nash is ready for those charging bunnies and prairie dogs.. smile

[Linked Image]

Ben

Suhweeeeeeeet Aviators! laugh
Every time I see a picture of those two boys I have to grin. They're living as boys and brothers should. Every day is an adventure. I don't know Ben or Nash personally, but I guarantee they're both fine young men!

Yep. They remind me sooooooooo much of me at that age...except they dont look as 'trouble prone'.... grin
Me too. I don't have a brother, but I shared similar exploits with my dad, a cousin and a mutually good friend. We're all still close today too.
Thanks for the kind words fellers... cool

Coons beware next season! grin Homemade dogproof is ready..

[Linked Image]

Wait, nothin' dead in this post, my bad... blush
My daughter the chuck buster.

100 yard neck shots...no problem. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

She is lethal
[Linked Image]

Good times.
Andrew,

are those her hiking Flip Flops?

Glad to see you around...

are the little buggers out over your direction yet???

have been tied up with work stuff in this direction and haven't been able to get over that way.... even on business..

how's the recovery from your surgeries treating ya?
The squirrels are coming out more every day...give it a few weeks yet.

Yes, not a good choice in foot wear and I did not notice until we were already there...darned kids.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...reached_my_original_goal_wei#Post7566903

I'll let you know when it is a target rich environment again.
Nice groundhawgs! grin

Nash has been shooting starlings with his shotgun in the yard every morning just about, but he usually flings them out of the yard before I can "document the occasion"... grin
Got a "bobcoon" last night. This ol girl has been tearing up the floor on the front porch and diggin up under the foundation of my shop looking to make her nest. She made the mistake of raiding the cat's food last night while I was still up. Got her running for the trees about 50 yards from the back door. Wonder how she lost her tail...only about 3" of it left.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Great video Shrapnel! laugh

Deflave and Shrapnel found gophers even in 19 degree weather. It was chilly, but the sun was out and so were the gophers. We were talking about how good the shooting will be by the time you get back to Montana...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Deflave and Shrapnel found gophers even in 19 degree weather. It was chilly, but the sun was out and so were the gophers. We were talking about how good the shooting will be by the time you get back to Montana...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Glad to hear that! There's a p-dog town 6 miles from our place in the Breaks... If you ever need a change of scenery, let me know.
Red Mist!
[Linked Image]
Haven't seen a muskrat posted on the thread yet, so here ya go...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Skunks walking around the house during the daylight bother me. This one wont be walking any longer. I wouldn't get any closer for the picture, but the black you see is/was the only black on it. Pretty stout!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice guard hairs on that P-Pine.
Last I heard they were fetching 15.00 an ounce. Have fun:)

Marmots
[Linked Image]
How many to make an ounce?......

And, is it really worth it?......
[Linked Image]

Good to see you're still killin the "pine-q-pores" Don... grin
How many to make an ounce?......

Most buyers only want the 6" + hairs. There's usually an ounce or so on an average sized Porky.

And, is it really worth it?......

It was when I was young. Now days I just kill em to avenge the suffering they've put some of my dogs through over the years.
yeah, but I remember it taking 3-4 to do the oz. And it was easiest to let them rot down enuff to make them easier to pull.
Might be a regional difference but I never had any trouble getting an ounce off of an adult Porky.
And yea,,, stinky road kills are defanitly easier to pluck.
I FINALLY am going to go out tomorrow to try to blast some rodents for the first time this year. Planning to drive over the mountains to Enterprise Oregon early in the AM. Taking the not yet bloodied Brno mini mauser ZKW 465 K-Hornet, the Biesen Stocked Riihimaki 222, the bench rest L-461 in 223, and probably the heavy bbled AR-15 along with a Marlin 22 MAgnum. Sounds like lots of guns, but my freind (who is also my pastor) daughters will be going and if all of them ride along that makes FOUR of them. His oldest girl just adores my Sako Riihimaki and I am thinking the Brno K-Hornnet for his 12 year old girl. Light weight gun with zero recoil, but completely ground squirrel capable out to 200 yards or a bit more. Spooky accurate, too.

Report and hopefully photos to follow. Should be a gorgeous glorious day.... for us that is <G>
Looking forward to the varmint report in the near future Mark..

I am looking for good weather to get out down this way.. rain means muddy fields, and the farmers don't like their roads getting torn up....
Looking forward to the varmint report in the near future Mark..

I am looking for good weather to get out down this way.. rain means muddy fields, and the farmers don't like their roads getting torn up....

Roads and fields were good, gophers out but not in the huge numbers they will be in another week or so. I am planning to hit 'em hard next week if at all possible.

I went and left my camera at HOME! I took some good pics with my I-Phone lV, but I do not know how to transfer them to my computer yet.

I got first blood on my 22 K-Hornet, and that little gun with plain winchester HP's is a freakin land mine for ground squirrels. Some of the nastiest most gruesome blow ups ever, and I have shot ground squirrels with some mega fast guns in the past. We were impressed and then some. This little 60 year old Brno Mini Mauser is scary accruate and mega fun to shoot and play with.

I will try to get some tutoaring on getting my pictures transffered and then post them here. Was a good day for sure, for us that is..... smile Not so good of a day to be a ground squirrel on a certain rance just North of Enterprise Oregon.....
Seafire, please bring ourt mutual frind Spankopiatis out here for some fun with rodents. I will host you two and show you my hot spots. Maybe Fireball2 at the same time?
I reckon that's one way to show Spanky what a 'ranch' is.....
Mark,

Back when they were cheap... Several times I bought 2000 Winchester 46 grain HPs for $122 delivered on the door step, I think from Mid South...I am down to my last 2000 or so of those..

I use them a lot in my Blue Dot loads in the 223., which are running at 22 K Hornet Speeds...

yeah, they really can make a sage rat come apart...

I do a little trick instead of hitting the sage rat with the bullet, I bounce one in the ground right in front of it.. especially if they are standing...

so as the bullet hits the sage rat, it has already opened up..

that is when you really get some flyers... to the tune of 5 to 8 feet in the air... and the left half going 20 yrd to the left and the right half going 20 yrds to the right....

Here is Seafire Jr hold the remains of one that I taught him how to bounce one in front of the sage rat when it was standing... this is all that was left... the rest of it was pretty much all over the place in a 40 yd radius... this one was shot with a 55 grain Hornady Bulk bullet over a charge of 13.5 grains of Blue Dot..ADL in 223..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is one when he was about 13 and out with his 10/22 with the lefty thumbhole stock... these three were him learning to do some windage and trajectory estimating... all three were taken at about 125 yds...

[Linked Image]

and his Marlin in 17 HMR....he took about 200 to 250 sage rats that day with it.. and that was a slow day...

[Linked Image]

don't ya love trying to get kids to smile sometimes?

[Linked Image]

Those were taken out in Lakeview..

[Linked Image]

Good pictures and memories!

Hope we get to vaprize some critters together someday.
Finally have the snow melted off enough to see a few groundhogs. Got 2 on my way to the range at a local farm about 2 weeks ago. Scouted new burrows and caught them out. First was 110yds with the 17rem. model 7 Remington.
[Linked Image]
Second was on my way back to the truck. It was only 40yds. Both shot with the 25gr. Berger Target HP's out of the 17rem running 3494fps avg. No exit on either and both bang flopped and shoulder shot.
[Linked Image]
Last Saturday after an unsuccessful morning of coyote calling, I changed from the 17rem over to the heavy 243 and scouted some more holes. Caught this one just over the rise playing peek-a-boo with me. Finally whistled it up high enough to see the head. Took a 50yd shot off the shooting sticks to the ear. Knocked it out of the hole 2' with the 87gr. V-max shocked. This was one I was after last year but couldn't get a safe angle on.
[Linked Image]
Hopefully more pasture grizzlies to come in a few weeks wink.

Multi-gun day of destruction...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You're goin full-cowboy on those Pdogs! Good show.
Schrapnel, What caliber was that old Marlin?..Nice old rifle..
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

It is an original Marlin 1894 in 38-40...

[Linked Image]

It is an original Marlin 1894 in 38-40...

[Linked Image]

What year did they stop using wood as a stock material?

Travis
Schrapnel, You surely come up with some dandy rifles..What a prairie dog caliber..!!!!!
.204 pic...

[Linked Image]
I like the "goph nugget" right by the scope Ingwe... grin

Shrapnel, that Marlin is very nice! I have always wanted either a 1894 or an 1893(or both)..
We were both shooting .204s yesterday Ben, logged in some 'frequent flier miles' for shure... grin

OUCH!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Spatula...

Travis
ARCorey,

What's up with the speeds on that .17 Remmy man? Stand on that thing!

Travis
No exits, no muzzle flip, no flash at night, fur friendly for predators, good brass and barrel life, and shoots tiny little groups from an 18.5" pencil barrel. Can't see a reason to Travis. This is my calling rifle and walking varminter, chucks are just my test subjects for fall when fur is good. Plus it makes them puff up and die with perfect corpses grin . When I want to splatter, the 243 with 87v-maxes gets to play laugh .
I like the "goph nugget" right by the scope Ingwe... grin

Shrapnel, that Marlin is very nice! I have always wanted either a 1894 or an 1893(or both)..

I zoomed in with my iPad and it looks like a baby gopher...lol
Cole...I think everything we saw/shot were males...if Im wrong about that ( and I could be..) what we saw was them beginning to gather nesting materials, so no baby gophs yet. Everything seems late this year, so we are going back in may when the pups are up... grin
Originally Posted by ARCOREY
No exits, no muzzle flip, no flash at night, fur friendly for predators, good brass and barrel life, and shoots tiny little groups from an 18.5" pencil barrel. Can't see a reason to Travis. This is my calling rifle and walking varminter, chucks are just my test subjects for fall when fur is good. Plus it makes them puff up and die with perfect corpses grin . When I want to splatter, the 243 with 87v-maxes gets to play laugh .

18.5"??? That's different. What powder are you using?

Good results on called dogs eh? Have you tried the V-Maxes on dogs at that speed? Or just the Bergers? Bad ass rig regardless.

Travis
Kirk,

Those photos involved plastic tips?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Kirk,

Those were actually shot with a Remington 50 grain PLHP in a .223...
Originally Posted by ARCOREY

18.5"??? That's different. What powder are you using?

Good results on called dogs eh? Have you tried the V-Maxes on dogs at that speed? Or just the Bergers? Bad ass rig regardless.Travis

Thanks Travis. It is the factory barrel. Only made 1993-94. Only fur so far was a called coyote and a coon. Coyote was shot back in liver with clean passthrough, my fault. Made follow up to back of head. First shot penciled through at 40yds and second had no exit at 110yds. The coon was caliber sized in, no exit at 40yds. Shot some feral felines and groundhogs with same results. Haven't tried anything but the Berger targets on meat and the Hornady HP's on paper. The Hornady's are going chuckin this summer for fur testing. Both bullets are in front of H-322 and CCI 450 primers. Bergers at 20.7gr Hornady at 20.5gr. Here are some 100yds targets with the Nikon Prostaff 3x-9x-50.
Hornady
[Linked Image]
Berger
[Linked Image]
Coyote
[Linked Image]
Coon damage.
[Linked Image]
Groundhog
[Linked Image]
Trying to hot rod this gun is like trying to drag race a Yugo. Lots of noise and no good results. Factory Remingtons shot about 1-1.25" and was a flame thrower at night. She works best around 3500fps. with the 25's. Looking forward to putting a Berger in some foxes this year.
Cole...I think everything we saw/shot were males...if Im wrong about that ( and I could be..) what we saw was them beginning to gather nesting materials, so no baby gophs yet. Everything seems late this year, so we are going back in may when the pups are up... grin

Still waiting in some good weather for ya to come over. Temps are supposed to be warmer this weekend but lots of wind. Dusti and I shot a few a couple weeks ago when we went to the ranch to get my boat out of the barn. With all this snow we yesterday and today, the grass will green up nice and they should be out in force and easier to see. When we were up there, you couldn't see them unless they took off running. My grandpa gave so e other people permission to go shoot some and I think they have gone up there quite a few times but I'm not sure. I'll keep ya posted. Tomorrow would be an AWESOME snow goph day! We got 5-6 inches of heavy wet around these parts.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Kirk,

Those were actually shot with a Remington 50 grain PLHP in a .223...

Big time...

Travis
Cool schit Corey. So is your rifle a model 7? I've never seen one.

I've ran the .17 Rem out of the 14" Contender before. Worked well believe it or not. But too damn loud.

Travis
Cool schit Corey. So is your rifle a model 7? I've never seen one.

I've ran the .17 Rem out of the 14" Contender before. Worked well believe it or not. But too damn loud.

Travis

Yea, its a model 7, they aren't very common. It is a sweet little carry rifle. I looked at the T/C barrels, but wanted to go with a bolt gun this time. I can't imagine the ear splitting noise out of a 10-14" barrel eek. This rifle is about as load as my 223's with my handloads.

I went out this Saturday after the honey-do list was done and did about 2hrs of chuck hunting. Man the number of holes in the open are way down this year. Not sure what is going on at the farm. I didn't even hunt this area last year and it still didn't bump the population. I managed to see two. Missed the first twice trying a headshot at 222yds with the AR. Shot about an inch high both times according to the holes above his head in the bank. He didn't give me another chance to correct. My dope was off for some reason and I was shooting much flatter than before. The second was a hit at 205yds after learning from my earlier mistake, but he was sitting on the hole and managed to slip back underground. It was a pretty colored blonde hog and I hated to lose that one. Should have took the 243, but wanted to get the AR a turn. Pretty crappy day for chuckin' frown.
Ingwe, snow gophs out everywhere this afternoon! If I could get away with it, I'd bring my 17 along in my work vehicle and stop by the ranch on my way home from the Res...but we all know that is impossible.
[Linked Image]
How are the hides out there this time of year Don?
fur is done for. Generally don't bother preds after fur season unless they're causing prollems. This one was digging in the horse pasture.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What scope you have on that, Don?
cheapo weaver kaspa 2-7....
The .22 is fun, but the whore-gnat is funner....

[Linked Image]
grin
Nuther striper, nuther starling. And a herd of hungry chickinhawks.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
a few etc's.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
tres mas stripers...

[Linked Image]
the whole fam-damily.....

[Linked Image]
Looks like a couple of them lost their heads over the whole danged episode... must have been the rats in DemocRATS... grin
[Linked Image]
I have really got to get out more.

My cat's killing more farm rodentia than I am, lately.
Here are the remains of a Northern California, almost Oregon Beldings ground squirrel who thought he was safe. About 200 yards with a 22-250, executed by a friend.

[Linked Image]

The boy's at work, one shoots while the other spots and hopefully doesn't move the table
[Linked Image]

My soon to be 20 VT Cooper when it was a 17 remington, about 250 yards on a Jack that decided to venture into the row in our vineyard that my bullet trap was in.
[Linked Image]

My shooting table setup for killin Beldings

[Linked Image]

I can swing about a 30 degree angle without having to move the chair by sliding the front rest side to side with my left hand, and if I need to reacquire a different direction I can grab the bench while using my body to support the rifle to move it small amounts. I place the butt of the gun past the end of the bench with a more upright sitting stance, right elbow is supported on the bench.

Allen
[Linked Image]

Oooh Rah!

I have dreams of finding democRATS like that in a cross walk in conservative towns... whistle

naww...... just kidding... sorta...
Huntsman,

Do you use a Foxpro much?

Travis
no sir. I only have mouth calls. I've been out with a pard that has one, a couple times, and they're great for coyotes.
Well hell...

Travis
Lol

Come on down here, you have to drive at least 30 minutes to find a democrap town, but I know where they are.

When my friend ( Sheriff) made the shot I was searching the field well right of this fenceline, I heard the Kwhoomp, then the Sighter and another onlooker had a very obvious Ewwweee reply so I had to get on the spotter and see what happened. Not nearly as impressive as the picture, but it pretty much ended the shoot and got the camera's ( or cell phones) out.

I'll be in Bend in June for 1 1/2 days....doing our annual Sturgeon run.

Allen

Allen,

where do you reside down south? I am located in Grants Pass... but shoot over in Klamath County, and occasionally over in Lake County...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Huntsman:

Don't recall seeing your SA-22 before. Is that new?
yessir, new to me. I got it from RWE 'bout a month or so back. Been having some fun with it....
Today was my first Squirrel outing for 2013.
Lots of Squirrels but the wind was keeping em down a bit.
Still managed a couple dozen with the centerfires.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Even got a few chip shots with my little Marlin.
[Linked Image]
A walk in the woods with a couple of my favorite rifles on a nice spring day.
Life's good in Charlieland.

Love mine. Got a red dot on it.
had one years ago and sold it when I went on a 10-22 kick. Missed it ever since and have been replacing guns I miss, since the divorce....
Brained Mom, and doubled-up her twins....

[Linked Image]
Have been jealous of all of these pictures but I finally got out today in SE Idaho to see some ground griz. Between the rain, hail, and intermittent sun we found some. Here are two of the victims. 1st with my Henry 22, 2nd with my ruger 22/45.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Even got a few chip shots with my little Marlin.
[Linked Image]
A walk in the woods with a couple of my favorite rifles on a nice spring day.
Life's good in Charlieland.

Nice Marlin FieldGrade! cool
Thanks Ben.
Mfg in 1946 and still the most accurate 22 I've ever owned.
A perfect companion for my 1946 K22.
A revolver that I know you're pretty fond of too. wink
[Linked Image]
Pitter Coddentell came hopping down da bunny trell......

[Linked Image]
Are you using a agricultural control permit? wink We can shoot the Snowshoe Hare year-round but Cottontails only Sept. - Feb.
Had three friends from Boise stop in for three days of Prairie dog shooting. The babies aren't out yet but we still had some great shooting. We were shooting three 22-250s, a Swift, and a 300 Ultra Mag. As you all can imagine the Ultra provided the best 'entertainment'.

We didn't have one of those fancy benches but did drag an old refrigerator out of the rancher's dump and did LOTS of shooting from there - it was only a 10 foot drag.

[Linked Image]
yup
First time I pulled the trigger on anything but paper with my 222 since I put her togeather last fall. I think she's a keeper:)
[Linked Image]
And a couple with my little FB so's ya don't think I'm lying:)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mostly younguns out today but I still got a couple dozen and a wicked sunburn.
Life's good in Charlieland smile

Oh,,, and here's one for deflave and the rest of the GFY crowd. grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This makes me jealous. Just got out today for a forest gopher road hunt west of Kalispell. I need new glasses. Things were pretty sparse, but making things worse, out of all THREE gophers I shot, and all FOUR chances -- I didn't spot a single one by myself. Wow, I knew my glasses were not good, but BLIND? Yep. New ones should be here next week and I sure hope they're good.
Yay for the rest of you, though.
Popped a yearling chuck Saturday with my Great Grandpa's Remington Targetmaster 510 in 22lr. It wasn't a short range snap shot I took and planted him on the spot. Shot his brother too, but he made it down the hole. It was neat to be able to take him with that old rifle.
[Linked Image]

Way to keep the tradition alive Cory!

Well done.
Thanks Charlie. It was one of my more memorable kills, and I got to include mom on Mothers day weekend wink. I need to see if I can talk her out of that old rifle and trade her something better for pest control smirk.
Happy Mother's Day Gopher.

[Linked Image]

All sitting around after church having brunch, in our Sunday Go-To-Meeting duds, and the SIL looks out the window and says, "Is that your cat in the garden?"

"No, that's the chubby bastard I've been looking for."

I sprung up from the table, jumped over the wife, and daughter.

Grabbed the Savage and hauled out the door.

By this time, the chubby bastard was getting it across the pasture - straight away from the house. Pausing after every 30-40 yards to see if he was being followed, he'd move again just as I was getting the crosshairs on him.

Finally, he paused a little too long, and I stuck 33 grains in the control room. He went down - no twitching, no death roll, just dropped over dead.

Cheers erupted from the house. (we're easily amused here on the farm)

Paced the distance at a hair over 150 yards, I could still hear the thud when the shot hit money.

Love the plex reticle.

[Linked Image]
Good story RWE! grin
Ben, are you home yet?
Nope, about a month or so yet.. Still gotta tie up a couple loose ends. I'm hoping we'll be able to stay just long enough for the NMLRA Muzzleloading Championship shoot. It's just under a month away. I'd say goph and prairie dawg shooting will at it's peak when we get back out! grin

Ben
Excellent! Good to hear. You and yours belong here.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This one doesn't know if he's coming or going.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
First gopher with the new 17Hornet
[Linked Image]

Hopefully I'll find some time tomorrow to run up to the ranch and kill a bunch with it. Probably take a shotgun too and take some "family portraits" since all the babies are out
glad you finally had a chance to use it, DT. It looks great.....
Thanks! It's going to be a hoot!
Getting yours out and killing stuff, has reminded me that I've been slacking. I renamed the whore-gnat just for today. He was called Abner Doubleday this morning. Had a few mounds of pups up, and decided to only take shots that would result in doubles(or better). He hit a triple-double...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

been on this ranch for 3 years, and this is the first burrowing owl I've seen here. I had the camera zoomed alla the way out....

[Linked Image]

Awesome! I should get out and shoot mine. Wind is nil right now. Wifey is having a bunch of friends over this evening for a BBQ for my brothers birthday so I'm being a "good" husband and helping clean up the house..aka vacuuming dog hair from a horribly shedding yellow lab. I might have to sneak out here pretty soon. I think I can hear the pipsqueak scratching at the back door to go out and shoot!
[Linked Image]

I love this thread... grin Great pics, Charlie, Cole, and Don! cool

Won't be but about a month longer and I'll be able to contribute to this thread.. smile

Ben
Killed a bunch of gophers with the hornet today! I love this little rifle. No recoil and you can watch the gopher "splash." Blow up isn't the word. It's a splash of hair, parts, pieces, guts, and blood! Also works dang good on jacks too
[Linked Image]
cool
This ol' bullsnake wants to contribute to the critter killin' thread.

[Linked Image]
He done his thing. I did mine.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Had another bullsnake in the henhouse when I went to gather eggs. He was kinda protective of his newfound food source.....

[Linked Image]
Had another bullsnake in the henhouse when I went to gather eggs. He was kinda protective of his newfound food source.....

[Linked Image]

Cool Picture. We currently have a bull snake living in the basement eating mice. He hangs out when I reload...though the first time I ran into him was a bit shocking.

I just got back from the neighbor's and helped rid him of some gophers with my bow, not bad for a short afternoon sorty...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
you need to get in on the crossbow group buy.......
Epic pics, Don and Shrap.. grin
Yesterday, we went back for prairie dogs. You never go anywhere without at least 8 guns. Rabbits are great targets with the 41 Magnum, nothing but head shots if you want to eat them...

[Linked Image]
You eat cottontails now???? I was always told it had to be cold weather..
I don't know where you've been living, but it has been cold right up to yesterday. I don't think a bunny goes bad in 24hours. Besides they say any month with an "R" in it is safe and June has several Thursdays in it and there is an "R" in every Thursday...
Never thought they would go bad, but always was told it took cold weather to get the flees and ticks off the little guys, but it has been colder in Montana than here....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
How is the gopher populations in your hunting area??? Ours are way down.. I have one favorite ranch I often hunt, usually shooting a hundred gophers takes maybe 2 hours, some times even a bit less..This year gophers and p. dogs seem scarce everywhere in the valley.. There were lots last year, maybe a poor hatch..how are you folks doing??????

On another note, the last good ranch I had for shooting p. dogs the manager is heading to someplace in Idaho called Lewiston... Bummer, hope he loves it!!! He is a good kid, one of my former students, but I hate to loose this contact..but that is life..
WCH,,, we have Columbia Ground Squirrels here. The colonies are smaller than yall's PD's or the Diggers further south but it's an average year none the less.
BTW,,, I'm about 25mi out of Lewiston. Your young friend will like it there if he can get past the stench of the paper mill.
The number of Beldings ground squirrels in Northern California are down this year from last, my only 2 years to gauge their population. A lot of folks who hunted last year told me the numbers were down a bunch from the year before, so I assume at least a 2 year downslide is happening.

Ground squirrels in Central California haven't changed in the fields I work.

I hope by next spring the numbers are up, so my new part-time, Full-time job is more fun....

Allen
FieldGrade, shot a couple Columbian's this year in Montana..They were different from the Richardson's we have here..Nice colors, but ours are just a greybrown...Nice photos of the 39A and squirrels..That was my favorite .22 for most of my life..A sweet handling little rifle...
Nice photos of the 39A and squirrels..That was my favorite .22 for most of my life..A sweet handling little rifle...

Thanks
You have good taste in 22's.
This one's still my favorite. Matter of fact, it's the only 22lr long gun I own.

BTW, it's a 39 (pre 39A). MFG in 1946 and still runs like a Swiss watch. smile
Beautiful rifle..I have an older one made maybe in the early 70's, but have a little Leupold 2-7 on it..When I was a kid, it was my favorite tree squirrel rifle..Still have a photo of the first limit of tree squirrels I killed with it ..
It's not so pretty up close. Not that I've abused it but lets just say it has some 'patina".
Can't imagine a better Squirrel getter. You should scan that pic and post it.
I need to learn this photo thing..my wife loves taking pictures..She takes thousands each year, but I never caught on to putting them on the net..put a few in photo bucket, but never tried moving them to the Fire..Will have to work on that..keep shooting...
Get to it:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/696239/1/How_to_post_your_photos

Travis
Fieldgrade,

If the gophers bounce back around here I'll trade you a gopher shoot for a rock chuck hunt.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Deal,,,, we found a Rock Chuck bonanza over in central ID a couple weeks ago.
Got to be about half nutz to get there but that shouldn't be a problem for you.
I know it ain't for us. crazy
[Linked Image]
A primitive camp with lots of Chucks, quite a few Ground Squirrels, and some Fly fishing.
Yea buddy!
We'll probably make it an annual camp.

I was laughing when I read about your half-mile backtrack. Been there done that my friend. High pucker factor for sure...

Would love to drive down and blast some rock chucks. I'll buy the beer.

Travis
this little guy doesn't know what to think

[Linked Image]

but i'm guessing he doesn't like a 223AI
I was laughing when I read about your half-mile backtrack. Been there done that my friend. High pucker factor for sure...

Would love to drive down and blast some rock chucks. I'll buy the beer.

Travis

No pucker factor here buddy.
Like I said, "Allen was driving" so being twice his age I wittingly convinced him that the best thing would be if I walked down and "spotted" for him. smile

Oh,,, and don't worry about the beer (Allen drinks most of it anyway) but I'll sip some Crown with ya should a bottle find it's way into your camp box.
Here is my attempt at uploading a few pictures from my Montana varmint safari of a week and a half ago. The first one is a gopher that met a Nosler 40 gr Tipped Varmageddon .223 bullet from my Remington SPS Varmint . The next 2 are a badger that met a 40 gr V-Max out of the same .223 Remington. The last pic is an antelope fawn that got caught between me and the highway. A great trip, although the gopher numbers seemed down a bit.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The everlasting rains and high grass are killing my varminting here. Tried Saturday with only one showing up on a pile of debris. Made a 110yd shot off the shooting sticks with the 243. Launched her pretty good. Scraped the parts around behind her for a picture, other side weren't pretty sick.
[Linked Image]
Nice. What stock is that?

Travis
It's a Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist for a Remington 700BDL. I keep saying I'm gonna throw a badassed Duracoat camo job on it, but basic black is too nice when I'm beating it around and taping dope charts to it. Most of the victims never see it anyways wink.
On this morning's hunt, I took my old custom 700 in .222 Rem. with a 6.5-20 Leupold on it. Most of the shots were less than 200 yards, but the scope made gophers look like little p. dogs.
I forgot how much fun it is to bust gophers with a centerfire rifle. Quite a few were airborne, but quite a number just took the 50 grain Serria Blitz without any flying though the air. Used IMR 4198 in these loads. They are the last of my Blitz bullets. Tomorrow, I think we will go to another area for p. dogs. Summer is rolling along pretty fast. It will be fall before we know it.
[Linked Image]

Travis
That is quite a 10/22.. Did you put that together?????
2ndtimer,where you shooting at?im across the river from ya.weve found a heck of alot of chucks along the river over by hatrock.
The pics I posted were taken near Inverness, Montana (south of Highway 2 between Havre and Chester). I have never found anywhere to shoot around Hat Rock on the Washington side. I would love to find a decent spot to go after rock chucks locally. Let me know if you ever need a spotter! (or back up for those aggressive rock chucks wink )
That is quite a 10/22.. Did you put that together?????

No. It came that way. It's a Magnum Research. I only added the decal.

Travis
Originally Posted by 2ndtimer
The pics I posted were taken near Inverness, Montana (south of Highway 2 between Havre and Chester). I have never found anywhere to shoot around Hat Rock on the Washington side. I would love to find a decent spot to go after rock chucks locally. Let me know if you ever need a spotter! (or back up for those aggressive rock chucks wink )

Why will nobody visit poor 'flave?

Travis
Took my brother-in-law out today, first time out this year. I've been working a lot, and I'm not a big prairie-dogger anyway.. It was super windy but we hit a few. All I could see was this one's head. All gone cool

[Linked Image]
single and double by the boss and his hummer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I doubled up a pair of pups with the 204

[Linked Image]

hummer from the new hummer....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 2ndtimer

Why will nobody visit poor 'flave?

Travis

Probably because when we drive that far to get away from it all, we try to avoid the "Big Cities" like Havre. wink
single and double by the boss and his hummer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I doubled up a pair of pups with the 204

[Linked Image]

hummer from the new hummer....

[Linked Image]

Love the rig! All you need now is an umbrella for some shade, and a rear mounted cooler. Can't imagine it any better....
Way cool Don! Nash got 2 cowbirds with one shot out in the fresh cut hay field a couple days ago.. No pics though. blush
Got this 'hog yesterday. A fuzz over 200 yards,with my .243.
[Linked Image]
one less onion-muncher in the garden.....

[Linked Image]
I work per diem in a neighboring town, today I brought my table and rifle and sat the field for awhile. It clouded up and got windy but I managed to hit a couple. I thought I hit 4 but could only find two. I'm happy with the performance of the 40gr vmax out of my 223 so far though. Both were ~ 180 yards.

This was the first one I hit, first time he just crumpled. I figured he was dead but a few minutes later thought I could see him moving his head. The second shot made him airborne and is what I believe did the damage. Pretty much inside out:
[Linked Image]

Just a head and an ass left of this one. I didn't find the other 80% of him:

[Linked Image]

I'm very new to the prairie dog thing, but this sh*t is fun.
yer hooked now.......
Am feeling a bit like a cowboy poet this a.m. So I penned a title to the poim of the day. I'm stuck coming up with more than the title, before coffee......
I title it, 'Plinked a Pair of Pepper Pickers'

[Linked Image]

Its 60-70 yards to the garden from the porch. One was inside, one was outside the fence. I gave no quarter to either. 'Insider' was saved for last as he had no escape, save for the gate. He only showed his head. Big mistake.... Bugged ol' Bugs one good eye right out.

[Linked Image]
Montana 2013
One of my goals for this trip was to get the right conditions for a 1000 yd shot. The first day out (Wed. June 12) we set up on a long range town that was flat for several hundred yards then uphill to several mounds with short grass around them. My first hit was at 378yds then hit 3 with 2 shots at 501. We kept shooting farther and farther later in the afternoon but the hits were few with the wind 15-20 and switching directions. The good thing was we were shooting into the wind, so the windage holds were not large just different each shot. My shooting partner was shooting a .243 then his new 6.5-.284 and I was shooting my Ruger No.3 .219DW PDK with the 8tw Shilen and 75gr A-Max at 3200. We were alternating shots on a co-operateing dog when Mike said "you hit him in the but". I was up 23.0" on my 6.5-20x40 Leupold from a 200yd zero which the chart showed to be 950yds. After a few more shots at a farther mound where I was up 27" on the scope, Mike offered to walk out and find the hit since I was haveing a hard time walking with my bad knees. I directed him to the mound with a walkie-talky radio and he says " blood but no body". The distance was 915 yds. No blood or body at the farther mound which was over 1000 yds. I got a hit at 915 and several chances at over 1000 and a whole afternoon of long range shooting, so I was a happy camper.
The next day I shot a town where my longest shot was a little over 300. I hit about 50 dogs with 57 shots including a triple. Tried some 32gr Z-Max and 32gr Varmageddon Nosler's as well as my usual 39gr BK's in my No.1 .204 Wasp. It was like shootin fish in a barrel, and a whole different kind of fun with all the blow-ups and pieces flying.
Thur. night more heavy rain, so Fri. was spent on main gravel roads scouting, talking to ranchers. Saw 3 bull Elk about 4-500 yds from road. Watched them through the bino's for a while. Huge racks covered in velvet. Enjoyable day even though we didn't get to shoot.
The town I shot Sat. was pretty well populated but not very large. Shot my No.3 .204 Wasp most of the day. Shot off my bench then moved around shooting off my aluminum ironing board then shot sitting off a monopod. Fairly high percentage on 122 shots out to about 450yds. Beautiful day, sunny, mid 70's, not much wind.
Sun. was spent on a couple of towns where the shooting was slow. Tried some 5-600 yd shots in a 20-25mph cross wind without much success, so ended my last day at the small town that I had shot on Thu.
Another goal this year was to take more pictures, didn't happen. I guess I don't have a photographer's mental apptitude, I just don't think to take pictures. I did get a pic of this circle of rocks that we found on the prairie. There was two other circles where the rocks were more scattered than this one. We speculated that teepees were here at sometime, but don't have any idea how long ago. We were almost 20 miles off gravel on two-track.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Took this pic in Zortman while walking from restaurant back to cabin. There were two young mule deer feeding beside road the next evening.
[Linked Image]

Mike and I traveled together on the way out to Montana. We stopped at the Scheels in Iowa City and Cabelos in Owatano,Mn, Mitchel,S.D.,Rapid City,S.D., and Billings,Mt. He had a gift certificate and some points on his card to spend and was looking for a used 30-06 size 700 for a donor rifle. He found a few that would work, but didn't buy. Found some reloading supplies at all locations and CF ammo, but no rimfire.
Headed home Mon., Mike stayed another week. Stopped in Billings at the first self-serve car wash and removed several layers of dried gumbo from truck. Drove through a couple of downpours around Gillette,Wy. that helped clean out wheelwells and under truck. By Tues. evening was crossing Mississippi river at Quad cities, decided to drive on home instead of another night in motel. Drove 1110 miles from Rapid City to Kokomo,In in a little over 17 hr.
Maybe next year I'll get that 1000 yd dog with body and pictures.
Dave

this youngster chewed on his last onion.....

[Linked Image]
219DW, sounds like we almost crossed paths, as i was in the same area but south of you guys, also shooting p-dogs for 3 days, we had wonderful weather and great shooting the first 2 days, but 3rd day the wind just about blew us away, we did make some good shots but only one at just over 1100 yrds and i felt it was a lucky shot it was just that dogs day to die.all of our other long shots missed by a mile or were close enough to make p-dogs move or duck into their holes.you cant beat the beauty of that country and the cool mornings, like you i had a long drive home, from there to s.tex. but it was a great trip. and i got to meet some great people along the way. rio7
huntsman22, no fair sniping from the front deck. rio7
all's fair in love, and war.....
they just don't learn....

[Linked Image]
In keeping with Don's garden pest theme of late I finally caught this little bastid that's been cropping the tops of my matter plants the last few nights.
[Linked Image]

Dispatched him with my trusty Crossman.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Do barmints of the boyd woyld fall in the 'etc' category? Some acrobats of the air, were turned into denizens of the dirt this mornin' alla the leetle browning. I hate starlings and collareds....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

huntsman22 I love checking this thread to see what that little browning, your whore gnat and others have killed! That SA22 is my favourite though, gotta get me one smile. Thanks for sharing everyone, makes this varmint hunters day when theres new stuff up on here. Heres the only pics I have from what little varminting I've done this year.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Finally this crow died almost instantly but clung to the bring for 6 days before falling smile
[Linked Image]
the other little browning...

[Linked Image]

more whore-gnat
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

shot this varmint with the garden hose whilst watering flowers....

[Linked Image]
huntsman22, looks like your critter control program is in full swing, ive been raising hell with coons this week got 7 so far, they are all over the place this year, also popped 2 pigs yesterday, caught them going to water midday, keep up the good work. rio7 P,S, i have to figure out how to post pic's.
bumper crop on coons this morning got 4 more, and one dumb coyote pup, rio7
the other little browning...

[Linked Image]

How do you like that leetle Browning Don? I handled one at a gun store a while back, it seemed pretty nice.
like the heck outta it. The finish is wearing thin from riding in my boot......
no coons this morning, guess ive caught all the dumb ones. did get a 80# boar just at daylight, then shot a coyote pup in the hay field that was mouseing, on the way back from the north ranch i got a mature male coyote in the same pasture about 9:00 am,our quail crop sure looks good, quail every where i go. hope they are still here this fall and winter. rio7
Texas sounds better all the time... but too hot and tooooo many snakes and illegals for me..at least full time..have a good one..
it is hot, but you get used to the rattlesnakes, illegals not so much. rio7
[Linked Image]
What are the specs on that barrel and where can you get one? Thanks.
green mtn 20 inch fluted sporter in 17 hmII
Decided to take a little sashay around the prairie before it heated up. They's getting smart and only offering headshots....

[Linked Image]

Then the 'Peanut Gallery' rolled in, and phugged everything up.....

[Linked Image]
They look like they lost their minds.. whistle

About a week and a half(if everything goes as planned), I should be whacking p-dogs myself! cool

Ben
Good deal, Ben. I'll bet you guys can't wait to get back to where you belong.
Yep Ben. Let us know when you get settled.
huntsman22, looks like your critter control is working , all ive got is 2 pigs, one last night and one the night before, coons have wised up wont come to the call anymore. rio7
dangitall, Blue. Learn the pic thing, feller.
Good deal, Ben. I'll bet you guys can't wait to get back to where you belong.

Yep Ben. Let us know when you get settled.

Thanks guys! I will let you know when we get in-state for sure. I'll certainly miss some things back here, but MT is waaaaay better suited to my lifestyle..(in other words, more stuff to shoot at! laugh )
every one needs to be were they can shoot, missed a big red boar last night, he got in the brush before i could get on him, got 2 coons this morning, my granddaughter is here from colo. trying to teach me to post pictures, but she has not figured out how to do it on this computer yet, we have 10 days to figure it out.if i can get her away from the puppys and off a horse for a few min. rio7
it's easy-peasy-japaneezy, rio7. Open a 'bucket acct, set up albums and unload the pics from yer 'puter. If I can do it, anyone can.....

Nice cool morning here....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

this one was right next to my 500 yd gong......

[Linked Image]

lucky headshot....

[Linked Image]
Haven't had 'slaves 17 Fireball out for a while, so I popped a couple with it this afternoon. That Mule Deer feller was right when he said that the furball really could get it done to 300.....
Who could have imagined?......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Little 'hog killin this morning...

[Linked Image]
Grand daughter and me went hog hunting last night, didnt see a hog, but i shot a bobcat, that we caught walking down the road. about a 4ft long female, 100 yrds .223,cat never knew we were there. real windy, texas heart shot.got in a hell of a rain storm coming home in my jeep, no top we were both sitting in a puddle, covered with mud. we had a great time. wish i had some p-dogs and chucks to shoot at down here.if i did i would get a 17-something. rio7
guess i havent run out of coons yet, got 5 more this morning, the rain last night really got them out and moveing around. got up this morning and had 2 hen turkeys rousting on my hot tub, between the 2 they must of had 10-12 chicks with them, went to get my camera out of the truck and they left town,rio7
Finally caught a little break in the rains to shoot a few chucks. All shot in the barnyard with the Marlin 17HMR between the sawmill and the barn/silo. Biggest one was 76yds off bipod, far right one was 49yds off sandbag, small one was 40yds off hand standing. First blood for the new truck smile.
[Linked Image]
rio7, we need pics of the soggy grandgirl.....
[Linked Image]
i took pictures of her with a pig i shot and the bobcat we shot,didnt get a rain picture, we were soaked.still trying to figure out how to post pics. rio7
A 20 grain v-max will over-penetrate skwirkles. I only found the top half, 'bout 30 feet away...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm tingling all over......nice.
you see I tossed it in a walnut sporter and chitcanned the ul?
Hunts', how you like your Zeiss Victory? 8X?
they're conquests.....I spent all my dough on swaro's and wanted another cheaper pair for beaters. I may sell them and pick up a set of the leupold mckinleys for my beaters.
Shows you what I know.
got a big red sow last night just before dark, picked off a good sized boar coon this morning, trying to keep my trigger finger working.rio7
did you use it for firewood?
I still have it.
Prairie dogs are pretty thin in this area, but decided to take a ride this am.. Mostly to get out and run the goldens.. Decided to do something a bit different for rifles so I took my rebarreled Marling 336 in .25-35.. A pal and I had a couple made up in this caliber maybe 10 years ago.. I haven't shot mine much in the last few, so decided to give it a run.. Ranges weren't long, 75 to maybe 125 yards.. A couple were just peeking out of their burrows.. I have a 2.5 Weaver on this rifle with a dot. The barrel is a Shaw 24" long.. Years ago I had loaded some 75 grain Horn. Vmax over H335. It proved very accurate this morning bagged 12 dogs.. Missed several shots also.. Later, I resighted it in with 117 grain for this falls deer and antelope season..
I should mention, the 75 grain Vmax must be loaded single shot fashion...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prairie dogs are pretty thin in this area, but decided to take a ride this am.. Mostly to get out and run the goldens.. Decided to do something a bit different for rifles so I took my rebarreled Marling 336 in .25-35.. A pal and I had a couple made up in this caliber maybe 10 years ago.. I haven't shot mine much in the last few, so decided to give it a run.. Ranges weren't long, 75 to maybe 125 yards.. A couple were just peeking out of their burrows.. I have a 2.5 Weaver on this rifle with a dot. The barrel is a Shaw 24" long.. Years ago I had loaded some 75 grain Horn. Vmax over H335. It proved very accurate this morning bagged 12 dogs.. Missed several shots also.. Later, I resighted it in with 117 grain for this falls deer and antelope season..

any pictures of the rifle or varmints to share?

sounds like a neat little rifle.
cowpoke, I am still trying to thread my way though posting of photos.. May try tomorrow.. It is a fun gun.. expensive, but fun.. But what in life isn't expensive...???
[Linked Image]
went out tonight with the sun at my back......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
montana 260, 95v-max

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I got the photo of the .25-35 I mentioned using on prairie dogs several days ago.. I am not sure how I got this photo here exactly, and the label was lost in sending but we tried..
I got the photo of the .25-35 I mentioned using on prairie dogs several days ago.. I am not sure how I got this photo here exactly, and the label was lost in sending but we tried..

here ya go:

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s465/WyoCoyoteHunter/IMG_5773_zps77c5f8b9.jpg

hit the third window up top after the smiley face...

will open a box ( insert a non floating image)( click that) and paste the above in that box.. and then hit okay...
Seafire, thanks I will try this..
[Linked Image]
Did the whore-gnat get a new scope?
sometime back. the old one is on the 17 fireball
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

one of them looks like a texas heart shot. about all im doing is raiseing hell with coyotes and coons, my critter grave yard is covered up with vultures.one of my ranch hands told me this morning, the vultures looked like obummer voters waiting for meals on wheels to show up, made me laugh.rio7
both were.... hit just a tad lower than I wanted to. Been a while since the deuce was out and I mis-guessed the drop... One crawled a purt fair ways before croaking.....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good to see the deuce getting some use... whistle

FWIW, there's a UHaul in my driveway right now.... cool

Ben
Which driveway? the 'unloading' one?......
No, the loading one...
well, if you take the southern route home (I-70), stop and visit.....
[quote=huntsman22]

FWIW, there's a UHaul in my driveway right now.... cool

Ben

Sweeeeeeeeeet! It'll be good to see you home again.....
Picked up a like new Sako 222 mag from my brother, he had two and had kept this one for his sons but neither one wanted it so lucky me. The rifle had less than 100 rounds through it before I picked it up. My brother lives in PA so we shot some woodchucks while there, all the rain made for late cutting but I still got several.
[Linked Image]

Went out this morning and shot some prairie dogs. Score my first double. Shot the entire morning from either sitting or standing in order to get some practice for this coming hunting season. The sticks sure worked great.

[Linked Image]

Nice little Sako.. Shooting chucks is almost as much fun as dogs.. My last hunts they were getting hard to locate, many of the old farms were growing up in weeds or brush.. Few chucks there..
My brother has lived in PA all his life and is a hard core hunter. We hunted our first PA farm and the owner directed us to second farm which he knew to have lots of big old hicks. My brother had hunted the farm in the past and the owner recognized him and allowed us on. it is always nice when the locals direct you to game.
Yes it is.. For several years during the summer, I had to spend in Pa. Shot hundreds of chucks.. But the last time I visited and hunted the old country, as I said, the fields were growing up, the old farmers were hanging it up.. Chucks like good grub, not weeds.. They were the beginning of our varmint hunting pastime.. Glad you had a good hunt..
july 1st to july 31st, critter count. 9 coyotes, 1 badger,1 bobcat,29 coons, 14 pigs.rio7
[Linked Image]
Agent 0022,

That by far is one of your coolest pics yet!

Sweet!
huntsman22, is that the coyote that was hanging out up on the hill above the water hole? good job!rio7
no, this was a pup hunting the treeline where the chuckars hang out. He lined outta rifle range, and died tired.....
was checking wind mills this morning and bumped into a dumb pup standing in the road,drt.went about 2 more miles and had another pup run acrossed the road i barked him to stop drt. rio7
Awesome pic, Huntsman! That coyote still looks mad. What ammo you got in that Ruger?
Cheapo win whitebox ball
Atmospherical conditions today were quite conducive to major splat-factorability. The 5 day forecast has the same-o little rain cloud and temperature in the computer pic, every day this week. I'll be ongoingly conducting scientifical experimentalisms henceforth. 17 grainer V-Maxificatedly opened up a jack this morning much more than usual. And was a continuational phenomenom thru afternoon hours on the garden raiders. Most gratifying to see the laws of physics expounded upon in real life.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice gut 'splode and flow.
You can't teach that.
It's a gift.
Not for the critters a course, they hate you.
Lead on.
Very Cool Picture!
not quite as violent of gut-ification as yesterday. Bare-o-metric pressure musta dropped.......

[Linked Image]
Don, is that a triggershoe on the Ruger?
yessir
and on this ruger...

[Linked Image]

and that other one....

[Linked Image]

and another other one...

[Linked Image]

and this smith...

[Linked Image]

and that smith...

[Linked Image]

and the colts wear 'em, too...

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_1617_zps35ddb1a7.jpg[/img]

also, a pair of T/C rimfires, a marlin lever, a pair of ruger UL's and a 77/17hmr have 'em. Most wear Pacific's and a couple are Ace's. None of those junky tylers...

So you're saying you kind of like trigger shoes. smile
beats lettin' 'em wear work boots....
Was out last week and found lots of doggies. I've taken to walking and shooting them from off hand, kneeling, or sitting. When using my heavy varmint I always set up and shoot from prone.

Am I the only one that waits for doubles?

[Linked Image]
Nice Sako Boise!

Don, those pics are really putting me in the mood for some p-dog plunking... Thankfully I have a dog town six miles away.... grin

Ben
That's good, because it appears Shrapnel went into hiding knowing you'd be back soon. If he ever re-appears, you guys hold his feet to the fire and make him take you to his killing fields.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

also rescued a beetle-bug outta the windmill tank. I am HERO.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A coon killed my last remaining pheasant and 2 chukars last night. War has officially been declared. Live-trap is now set and baited with a chukar carcass. If that don't work, I'll switch to plan 'B'...

Hope he enjoyed his last meal......
Implementing plan 'B' tonight. The bastid returned and avoided the live-trap. He munched 2 more chukars. At this rate, I only have a few days supply left. Best be putting an end to it.....
Dang shame footholds ain't legal in CO... You could nab him easily in a 1.5 or a DP I'd say..
Implementing plan 'B' tonight. The bastid returned and avoided the live-trap. He munched 2 more chukars. At this rate, I only have a few days supply left. Best be putting an end to it.....

You ain't using the right bait...peanut butter. JIFF - extra crunchy. wink

[Linked Image]
Rifles, pistols, shotguns, footholds, conibears, compound 1080, getters, aerial gunning, hounds, calls, trucks and pitchforks. One way or the tuther, this bugger is goin' down...
I really couldn't blame him if he passed up a PB&J sammich, for fresh, fluttering chikkin salad.....
Dang shame footholds ain't legal in CO... You could nab him easily in a 1.5 or a DP I'd say..

Ben, Im expecting you to post a pic of some dead Montana critter pretty soon.....
Ben, Im expecting you to post a pic of some dead Montana critter pretty soon.....

I made a bit of a tactical error, instead of buying ammo, dies, etc, yesterday in Lewistown, I got lured in by the on-sale Leupold VX-1 3-9... I'm think about getting either a standard Leupold target turret, or an M1. I would just get elevation, not windage. Thoughts?

Edit: there was also a matter with a drain snakesick that kept me from more important matters, such as blowing up the local fauna..
Rifles, pistols, shotguns, footholds, conibears, compound 1080, getters, aerial gunning, hounds, calls, trucks and pitchforks. One way or the tuther, this bugger is goin' down...

Let me know if you don't catch him by Monday.
If need be I can slip Sally in a USPS flat rate box and have her there in a couple days. She'll make short work of that bandit and happily ride in that little box for a couple of days for the opportunity.

[Linked Image]
He didn't come back last night. Hold off on dropping the dog in the mail.......
You might just have to get a Mtn. Cur Don... They're good for just such emergencies.. grin FieldGrade, does Sally have a little Plott in her?
Well, Ben. Raise me a brindle about the size and temperment of Sally and we'll make a deal.....
You might just have to get a Mtn. Cur Don... They're good for just such emergencies.. grin FieldGrade, does Sally have a little Plott in her?

Just a tich;) There's a pinch of Redbone a few gens back too but she's 90% Cur Dog.
She's a sweet heart.
[Linked Image]

Between her and my little Sophie dog (GSP) there ain't much that wears fur or feathers we can't hunt.
[Linked Image]

They'll even catch the occasional Cat if I can put em on a fresh track but I'm an old foot hunter so we don't catch to many. Sure is fun when we do though.
[Linked Image]
Beautiful dogs!!! What a great pair they are..
FieldGrade, that is as fine a pair of hunting dogs as a feller could see.. cool I can't wait to try our curs on kitties, I'd say they'll do great. I know from experience they'll tree feral cats! wink A silent mouth (on track) is probably the biggest thing I like about a cur. That way you can just sneak up on the cat(or coon) and run them up a tree before they know what happened. From what I've seen you post here, and over at PM, you like silent mouth dogs as well! smile

Sorry Don, but I don't raise dogs, I just with hunt 'em! laugh
Yea Ben,,, my cur dog doesn't open until she actually see's game and that's about the time the cat see's her. My experience (although limited) is that cat's go up pretty quickly at the sight of a dog so it makes for a pretty short race.
Which is a good thing because the cat and dogs would surely die of old age waiting for me to get to the tree on a long race. frown

Off topic but one odd thing about my cur.
She won't swim???? She'll go wading but if her feet won't touch the bottom she want's no part of it and no amount of coaxing will change her mind. Only dog I've ever owned that didn't like to swim.
She isn't afraid of water and even loves to ride in a boat but no swimming. LOL
Could be worse though. I have a buddy that recently spent a pile of money on a Drat with Ducks and upland game in mind but mostly Ducks and she won't swim either. frown
Send her here. I don't have water.....

maddog

That's pert near God's country for hunting in Indiana! I used to hunt just north of Vevay myself...
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

maddog

That's pert near God's country for hunting in Indiana! I used to hunt just north of Vevay myself...

I love Vevay/Switz. County...but it ain't Montana. smile But if I was to live in the midwest, that would be where I'd land for sure. Great people, good hunting and fishing, not too crowded(by IN standards), and is close to Friendship, IN and the NMLRA.

Ben
And don't forget the casino riverboat in Rising Sun that pays for all the paved roads....
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
And don't forget the casino riverboat in Rising Sun that pays for all the paved roads....

Actually, we lived on one the very few remaining gravel roads in the county. It was better that way because it kept traffic at bay.. And it kept me from feeling too civilized! grin
[Linked Image]
Some fine looking gals you have Charlie.

Some recent victims while checking the zero on the 17rem model 7.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Then a few around the barns with the 17HMR Marlin 917V.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lovin' that little peestol Don.. cool
It do grow on ya....
Had a good time with one of our buddies out on the dog town today... Farthest shot was just shy of 600 yards..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This'n was literally inside-out, courtesy of a Howa .22-250.. grin

[Linked Image]

FWIW, even though Nash is carrying a .22, the blown up ones were .22-250 victims..

[Linked Image]

Levitating... laugh S&W M&P .45

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg495/mtncurman/IMG_2026_zps01983d02.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg495/mtncurman/IMG_2038_zpsb4268256.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg495/mtncurman/IMG_2041_zps053ec988.jpg[/img]

It's dang good to be back! grin

Ben
This guy just about made Dad just about jump out of his skin! grin

[Linked Image]

P-Dog jaw bone...

[Linked Image]

You can see the truck where we were shooting from right to the left of his ear..

[Linked Image]

Ben
[Linked Image]
If it was shot on a rock, does that make it a rock chuck? Or is still just a ground hog?

[Linked Image]
Had a young man out to the ranch to practice up for annylope season. He'll get 'er done......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben

Ben...I have not seen one of those little dudes for years! Cool! cool

[Linked Image]

Ben

Ben...I have not seen one of those little dudes for years! Cool! cool

They aren't too common up here.. I do see 'em from time to time though. They're neat little critters for sure. cool
Last one I saw was actually north of the breaks....didnt know they got that far up...
[Linked Image]
Which rifle is that Don?

Ingwe, yeah, I usually think of them as being mainly a southwest critter.. I guess not!
ruger vt 204 in walnut. Ben, you guys need to pick up some slack......
Ben, you guys need to pick up some slack......

I know, I know, but we got a new 'dog shooting rig, so now we can get back to killin' schtuff... grin 50 mpg AND 4wd, I'm loving it! Besides, bird season is in now, so we will start stacking up the sharptails.

[Linked Image]

On a side note, I bloodied Nash's new Pietta 10 shot .22 yesterday on a leetle rattler. First one I've killed all year.

Ben
Ben I really like the looks of that outfit for that country! Looks like it would A) Carry a lot of PD Ammo or B) Carry a couple big mule deer bucks back home! grin
just too bad Nash has to ride in back......maybe a 3 seater, next time?
back to the whore-gnat this afternoon...

[Linked Image]
I forgot I had this picture. Jackrabbit I got at about 200 yards with, as Don calls it, the whore-gnat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Good job fellers... Been sorta busy the last couple of days, but Nash and I are going after birds tomorrow.. Hopefully pot-pie will follow! grin
[Linked Image]
Don, Is that the new Ruger American? If so, how do you like it.

Here are a couple a buddy and I got this past Saturday.

Him with one at 148yds and his Remington Model 7 CDL in 17 Fireball shooting 25gr. V-max.
[Linked Image]
His second at about 30yds as we topped a knoll.
[Linked Image]
I missed one twice at 550yds with the 243 due to windage. Was off about an inch. Managed to take this one with his Fireball at 40yds offhand from a rock pile.
[Linked Image]
Was a healthy one wink.
[Linked Image]
Not sure on the specs on his Fireball load other than it has a 25gr V-max, but it left no visible entry or exit on the first and third chucks. The second one had a glancing gut shot that opened it up and needed a finishing shot.
yup. good, so far...
Been fiddling with my late Dad's legacy battery for awhile. One of them is a Marlin 99 first run semi-auto .22 rifle. Best I can tell they were only made 1959 (like me) through maybe '61ish. Pre-GCA S/N requirement but action has 1,1XX electric penciled in.

Dad got it new off the shelf at the Otis AFB BX in 1964 when he transferred there to fly early AWACS: Constellations.

He loved this rifle beyond reason. It would stack Winchester Wildcats in bugholes @ 35 yards with irons. Many squirrels and crows toppled to it when we retired to Tennessee in 1970 and on.

I put a little Japanese Tasco 4x on it for him when he hit 81 and he said it made it "tol'able accurate" again. He passed last October 18, day after his 84th birthday.

Been upgrading his irons as part of my grieving, with the aim being to blood them all again. The Marlin has recently gotten a DIP target trigger and Pic rail on its dovetail. Dropped a
Wally World Bushnell BDC 3-9x40 with IR on it and zeroed it for 35 yards with CCI Velocitors.

Today the Marlin dropped it's biggest prey ever.

Son Connor and I went out to hang a ladder stand near a likely trail and were making a lot of noise.

After about 15 minutes Connor spotted a uniquely colored doe we've been watching since her birth go dashing down a streambed upwind of us and said "there's a red fox chasing her!"

We watched them disappear in the thick vegetation and began to loudly spar over the possibility his "fox" was a summer phase coyote.

He went silent and whispered "S@#T you're right, it's a coyote and it's coming back."

I snatched the Marlin 99 up and shouldered it and watched a shape moving west down the dry creek bed about 40 yards away though the jungle.

Connor whistled and it stopped, completely blocked from my perspective. He said "shoot" and I said "no target". It started to move and it's face hove into view through the briars and downed trees.

The Bushnell was set on 6X and I snapped in between its eyes and started squeezing the crisp new trigger. It looked left suddenly as the sear broke. The rifle nudged me and I saw no more dog.

Connor yelped "Sheeit!" and I looked up to see the coyote's azz hit the ground.

Pretty sure Dad is grinning like a loon over yonder.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

The 30-lb. bitch had to be hosed off back at the hacienda in order to be presentable for photos. Note the new trigger, scope and mount on the 50+ year old rimfire.

[img:left][Linked Image]http://[/img]

I reckon this purty tail led to Connor's initial mistaken identity call.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

After a shampoo and hose rinse to get rid of the blood, turned out reading all the Jeff Cooper snapshot mumbo-jumbo in my ute, resulted in a near-perfect puncture wound between the eye and earhole. The smoking hot Velocitor did not exit the left side and the plan is to turn this skull into a Euro mount and recover what's left of the pill tomorrow.

My old man's happy in Heaven and Connor knows his old man can still flinch half-assed decent on command. Good day on the Highland Rim.

Oh and this canine will kill no more fawns or special ed does. grin

How cool is THAT?....
Huntsman, is your Ruger 'Merikan Compact the LR or WMR? Looks sweet and handy. What scope ya using?
22lr. with an old burris 3x9. painted it today.

[Linked Image]
Looks good. Pretty tore up bout gettin a WMR Compact.
Great Story there ColdCase....

and Don, nice look to the Rimfire American....

got to see one finally early last week... was smaller than I expected.. but they had the 22 LR and then for $10 more there was the 22 Mag...

I am waiting for our local chain store to get them in, they've been trying to order some...price will be better...

That and being able to handle 10/22 or 77/22 mags also is a major plus...

its pretty basic, but then like a NEF in synthetic, they would be pretty indestructible...
[Linked Image]
Don,

what company makes those rings? I like those also...

very nice set up and looks like it is already getting the job done...

I was thinking of that Nikon P 22 scope or the Bushnell AR in 2 x 7 that is supposed to be for 22 LR....

but I can see that type of rings mounting whatever scope I pick for it..

was also going to go with the Tan Krylon Camo on it with Black and Gold webbing....
rings are weaver. I was going to web spray this'un, but my paint was bad. I do have a can ordered..... I kinda like the combo.

[Linked Image]
I like the look of that black web on tan.
Originally Posted by czsharpshooter
I like the look of that black web on tan.

+1, PM on the way asking how to replicate.
Some are fatter than others cool

Had a pretty much windless morning yesterday and the shooting was GREAT!
[Linked Image]
looks like it's gonna be a long, hard winter in your 'hood....
or did he lay in the sun long enuff to swell up and pop?.....grin
The town has standing grass in areas where last year it was totally bare. I'm getting a goodly amount of green mist off these fat ones.

Minimum sun exposure time on the fat one, got to love the stretch marks.
pups be stoopid....

[Linked Image]

that's 2, with the pistolie.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Diggin' the webbing Don...
[Linked Image]
First blood for the Ruger .44..

[Linked Image]
Done a long ranger this mornin' from the porch. Was spotting/watching my antelope and deer, and spied a PD pokin' around. Got out the 204, ranged him, and popped him first shot....537

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking from the doggy back to the house.The left building on the skyline
[Linked Image]
While I was down looking for him, A couple more surfaced....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good chootin' Don... cool
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looking from the doggy back to the house.The left building on the skyline
[Linked Image]

Nice work.
[Linked Image]
I know doves aren't varmints, but this fits this thread well.. Two birds, one shot... Nash was very proud.. grin

[Linked Image]
Seeing any Eurasian doves up that way Ben?

They are getting quite common here, would love to whack a couple to see if they taste good...
Seeing any Eurasian doves up that way Ben?

They are getting quite common here, would love to whack a couple to see if they taste good...

No, I haven't seen any.. There's some pigeons around though.
Well when the Eurasians show up, gun the crap out of them, they are non-native and hence unprotected...but the sound they make reminds me of Africa....
Is a Eurasian the same thing as a ring neck dove? If so, they are everywhere around here. We shot a bunch last year at the seed plant right outside of town. I fact, shot more ring necks than mourning doves. Couldn't tell them apart by taste, just by the size of the breast meat.
If you are seeing Doves in Montana right now, they sure aren't Mourning Doves. The FWP has a shoot on sight for those bigger doves, they are not only unprotected, they are wanted dead...
Yep, and I'm not sure why. They way they have already proliferated, they could be our next passenger pigeon...

Oh, thats right...F&G only wants to protect things that eat meat, not things that produce it....
If you guys are getting shooting on those Eurasian dove your lucky.. There are a couple hundred here in town, but they never leave.. Tough to gun in town..
If you guys are getting shooting on those Eurasian dove your lucky.. There are a couple hundred here in town, but they never leave.. Tough to gun in town..

pellet gun and a RED DOT?
[Linked Image]

Don,

have you kept count on how many rodents and such you have taken with that 17 Hornet?

I am betting yours has to has one of the highest scores in the country...for the 17 Hornets..
lost count a long time ago....

For real sport, try a bow...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one was lucky 3 times...

[Linked Image]
The best part of firewood cutting is the close proximity to the 'dog town.. grin

[Linked Image]

This one barely got nicked...

[Linked Image]

Ben
Any of you fellers going after coyotes yet? They're starting to look pretty fluffy around here.. I'm thinking I might have to sneak out next day or so and try calling up one or two. I've been out twice, but no luck so far..
[Linked Image]
That poor PD! laugh
That's a big azz PD Ben.
Wish our Ground Squirrels were that big.
Maybe I could hit one once in a while:(
My brother is in town for a couple days from Colorado and is staying at our friend Scott's cabin in a Cannon Co. cove.

Jason and Scott are pretty much killing machines and plan to trim the deer-killing coyote packs between sad football games on TV this weekend, so I brang my wife's Vanguard Ute .223 w 'Fire-bought Leupold 6x36 to him this afternoon. Zeroed for 225 yards W-W 45 gr. USA JHPs.

After watching the 1st quarter carnage of UT v. Abalama I decided to ease back to town. Saw a groundhog sitting up down by Scotty's gate and gave J the high sign.

He slithered down to the vehicles, slid the Ute out and slipped a couple rounds in the mag well. He maneuvered a ways down hill behind cover, went prone and zapped this ol' gal at 135 yards.

Not much of challenge for a PD man, but his first grounder in many a year; made him grin. The meat report was markedly better than a PD.

He didn't even mind the girly-girl sling either. grin [Linked Image]

Pretty sure the projectile expanded, and way over-penetrated... whistle
[Linked Image]
Tom and Charlie, he's being scored by Boone and Crockett right now.. grin Fur damage was nil. I might have to skin the next one out..grin

ColdCase, looks like it over-penetrated for sure.... grin I wish we had groundhawgs around here.

Ben

Ive killed a few B&C Gophs, but never a PD!

Bisley for size comparison...

[Linked Image]
Ben,

The invasion of coyotes into Middle Tennessee really took off in the mid- to late-'80s. Groundhogs declined sharply, as have fox and now deer are constantly stressed.

The 'hogs and fox survive on the edge of suburbs, school campuses and shopping centers.

I've not killed a groundhog in more than a quarter-century as a result.

They are also in the country somewhat, as this one was, living under the barn and tearing stuff up. That's why Scotty gave the green light on this grizzled ol' lady.

The really cool part was gettin' to watch my baby brother whack something. Spend as much time as you can with yours outside.

Soon enough, women, children, work and the toll of time will cut back on y'all's fraternal predatory pursuits. Hunting buddies come and go, but ain't nothin' like bloodsports with your own brother.

Dan

P.S. Just saw this was post 2,000 for me; what a Chatty Cathy! At least it was about sumpin that matters and not fussing with a troll.
100 Grain Ballistic tips started at over 3500 are kind of hard on PD's
[Linked Image]
Got a coyote today with the new .22-250.. One shot at about 150-170 yards. Howled it in right around 7:30 this morning. It was a fun hunt..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben
Nice Pale dog Ben!
Thanks 6MM! Hopefully I'll have a couple more before long... smile These pale 'yotes are gorgeous..

Ben
Ben, so whats your first impression of the .22-250 on coyotes? I always thought it killed them more deader more quicker than my .223s�.
Ben, so whats your first impression of the .22-250 on coyotes? I always thought it killed them more deader more quicker than my .223s�.

It folded up like a cheap tent, as Randy Anderson would say. smile I didn't make the best shot placement though and blew the side out of it's neck.. I need to aim a leetle lower next time.. grin It'll be pretty easily stitched up though. You been seeing much wolf sign?

Musselshell madness...

[Linked Image]

Musselshell madness...

[Linked Image]

Where at on the Musselshell?

Musselshell madness...

[Linked Image]

Where at on the Musselshell?

About 5 miles east of the town of Musselshell on the Old Musselshell road...

It folded up like a cheap tent, as Randy Anderson would say. smile I didn't make the best shot placement though and blew the side out of it's neck.. I need to aim a leetle lower next time.. grin It'll be pretty easily stitched up though. You been seeing much wolf sign?

'folded up like a cheap tent'�. laugh EXACTLY the right description in my experience!
Bud, I hate to admit but I haven't been out yet, so haven't seen any sign, wolf or otherwise. Got a hunt planned on Monday in country where Ive found wolf sign, will keep you posted...

Dude, you have GOT to tell me if you are ever headed this way. I have a pile-o-stuff for you to haul home.
'folded up like a cheap tent'�. laugh EXACTLY the right description in my experience!
Bud, I hate to admit but I haven't been out yet, so haven't seen any sign, wolf or otherwise. Got a hunt planned on Monday in country where Ive found wolf sign, will keep you posted...

Dude, you have GOT to tell me if you are ever headed this way. I have a pile-o-stuff for you to haul home.

We're planning on going Lobo hunting probably sometime right after Thanksgiving.. I will definitely give you a heads-up if we get over towards Helena. We'd all really enjoy meeting you.

Ben
About 5 miles east of the town of Musselshell on the Old Musselshell road...

That's some fine country down there..
PM me for contact info if you get headed this way�.

Ben/Ingwe,

That is my experience moving from a 223 to a 22-250. Where a coyote might twirl or run a bit with a hit from a 223, they die much quicker with a hit from the 22-250.

Ben, What is your 22-250 chambered in? From that distant photo, it looks interesting. Mine is in a Kimber varmint I had ceratkoted and stock in a Wildcat stock.
AB, it's a Sako AII with a 27" stainless Pac-Nor barrel. It's making a fine "walking varminter". smile Scope is a Leupold VX-1 3-9....

[Linked Image]

I recall seeing your Kimber on another thread... It looked like it would be quite the coyote slayer!

Ben
AB, it's a Sako AII with a 27" stainless Pac-Nor barrel. It's making a fine "walking varminter". smile Scope is a Leupold VX-1 3-9....

[Linked Image]

I recall seeing your Kimber on another thread... It looked like it would be quite the coyote slayer!

Ben

Nice rifle.
what a mess, yall:

[Linked Image]

120 yds with the salvage .223 shooting the bonded nosler 64's. I was a little surprised at the damage, there was somewhat of a rabbit explosion when the shot broke
Just shot a deer with one of those Noslers. He kinda looked like that on the inside too�. sick

What is the ballistic coefficient of a Cooper radial???

[Linked Image]
Looks like 1.00!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good to see da whore-gnat in action again.....grin

Kirk, that looks like maybe a little bit of overkill! laugh Have filled all your big game tags?
[Linked Image]

What? Not even a pass-thru??? grin

You have never shot these gophers, high velocity 22s won't even penetrate...

[Linked Image]
Ahhhhh�.the legendary 'Kevlar' Gophs�..

The only way to hunt these is from a riding mower. They aren' as suspect of you or your intentions...

[Linked Image]
I love a good drive by shooting�..
Do snared critters go in here?? grin

[Linked Image]

Ben
YES! laugh
OK, just checkin'.... grin
Absolutely! Good job Ben! Hopin to do some of that this winter. A guy that I go to church with is big into trapping. He is going to show me the ropes this winter! Hopefully we will trap some bobcats
[Linked Image]
Thanks Cole.. Cat trapping is a lot of fun! I'm going to have to sit out this season until sometime in January since I'm a "nonresident".. frown Oh well, coyotes and foxes will suffice! smile I picked up this dandy red along the 'line this morning.. A red around here is fairly rare, so it was a treat to get this one.

[Linked Image]

Don, that skwerrel looks plump... Need to throw him in the crock-pot! grin

Ben
Don, are fox squirrels native down there�.?

They are classed as non-game 'invasive' species here�... grin

I class them as tender vittles wink
don't know about native, but I can remember them around when I was a pup.
I wish we had 'em around here.. They're a lot of fun to hunt, especially with muzzleloaders... grin
Ben, I actually saw a couple on the Musselshell near Harlow�. wink
Hmmm... might have to load up the curs and head down there! grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Poor leetle bunny wabbit...... grin

Rabbit and dumplins tonight?
I wuv wabbit grin
[Linked Image]
OK, I'm gonna have to kill a cute wittle bunny wabbit tomorrow...

My mouth's watering.... grin
I'm kickin myself now! I killed a snowshoe hare this morning while checking a trap line in the mountains. It went straight in my buddies pack for bait. Didn't get a chance for a picture. Cool little things. I always thought they were similar in size to a jackrabbit. Basically a scaled down jack. Might have to go shoot some more. Beautiful pelts on them
They taste good too, not like jacks�.
[Linked Image]
The Colorado bunnies are getting a thrashing.
Cole, what are you trapping? We've been seeing some jacks in the sage around Winnett lately....Mebbe they'll make a comeback. We've got almost high-line style wind here this afternoon, I'd say the rabs are hunkering.... I know I am. grin
A guy from my church is big into trapping and is going to teach me.so I haven't officially set my own line but went with him to check some pine Martin traps he set. First time on snowshoes, in 3 feet of snow, with a guy that will do 20 miles a day shed huntin....it about killed me. It was a blast though! I was absolutely amazed at the amount of different tracks we saw up in the woods. Hopefully this weekend I'll get out with him to set some snares for coyotes.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Way to go Cory.
Did you whack em with the M7?

They both look like "Reds" from here:)
Got this guy yesterday with the ole .204 ruger

Attached picture image.jpg
Way to go Cory.
Did you whack em with the M7?

They both look like "Reds" from here:)

No Charlie, the little coon just out of frame in this pic got whacked with the 17rem M7. The top was a grey that got a load of 12ga #4 buck and the red got a 20gr. Gamepoints from the Marlin HMR. Was mostly tight areas around houses and livestock. Coon was back a little further with more open ground.
great pics!!! my savage 99 barrelband in 250/3000
[Linked Image]
and my brother Bill and his deadly 25/35
[Linked Image]
and my remington 141 cut down to a saddle ring carbine, in 35 rem
[Linked Image]
and Bill's 1920 savage in 250/3000
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not a Black Paintr' but a nice 29# Tom. Stretched 39".
[Linked Image]

Not a Black Paintr' but a nice 29# Tom. Stretched 39".

NICE tom Charlie..
Thanks Ben
Very nice cat.. It is that time again!! How quickly things pass.. Good trapping..
Yep:) Season started on the 14th.
It's snowing pretty good here right now.
I'll be out at the crack looking for fresh trax with the Cur dog.
After the miserable amount of snowfall last year she's really ready.
Did you trap that one or tree it?
Good luck.. Give cur dog a pet..
Did you trap that one or tree it?

[Linked Image]

Good luck.. Give cur dog a pet..

Will do.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Merry Christmas
That's what you like to see right there.. MB550?

Nash and his .45 were tough on the wascally wabbit today..

[Linked Image]
Yep,,,, 550.
Some say they're to small for Cats but I've yet to miss one.
Had one three toe'r (which still held) but the rest look like this one did.
I'd say that's about as deep as anyone can ask for.

[Linked Image]
Wabbit pot pie! laugh
Nice bobcat!
Yep,,,, 550.
Some say they're to small for Cats but I've yet to miss one.
Had one three toe'r (which still held) but the rest look like this one did.
I'd say that's about as deep as anyone can ask for.

[Linked Image]

That looks picture purr-fect to me..

Tom, I hope so. Nash leans toward fried rabbit though.....oh well. grin
toilet set?
Dirt hole up under that big Pine.
I call that spot my "Money Tree" because for some reason I catch more critters right there than all my other sets combined.

I also have a bobcat tree. Once I found it, it is good year after year. Location, location....
Yea buddy,,, location indeed.

Mine's not just a Bobcat tree though.
I caught four cats and four Coyotes last year at that same location.
Didn't even change traps,,, just kept resetting and skinning:)

.44 and whitetailed jack...

[Linked Image]
Nash got another Peter Cottontail, this time with his fiddy four flintlock... It wasn't fur friendly on the other side.... whistle

[Linked Image]
Nash must be very intrepid to kill rabbits with a fwintwock��. grin
He got another this evening with it, but pulled the hide off before I could get his picture.. grin
Pic of the pot pie will suffice. grin
[Linked Image]

Couple of snared coyotes from a few days ago
sweet.....
Nice shooting on those bunnies with the revolvers guys.
I can't hit my foot with a handgun.
Hey Ingwe....whistle

[Linked Image]
laugh laugh laugh
It was very good.... grin

Laker, those are some nice looking pales..

Put this in your pot pie, it will add fiber...

[Linked Image]
smoked one outta a culvert this morning. Hope the diesel fumes don't hurt the flavor of the porkypie.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll pass on ol' porky, if it's all the same to you fellers... grin Shrapnel, is that a Marlin 1893 or 1894? Looks very good from here, I know that.

Don that's a whole different kind of smoker than I'm used to seeing...I'd say there might be sort of a funny wang to the meat.. whistle
I'll pass on ol' porky, if it's all the same to you fellers... grin Shrapnel, is that a Marlin 1893 or 1894? Looks very good from here, I know that.

It is a model 1894 in 38-40. I only have 3 Marlins, being a Winchester guy. I do have 2 1889 Marlins, one in 44-40 and another in 38-40 in a SRC. They really are nice guns, just not Winchesters...
merry crimmas, rodent.....

[Linked Image]
The local wabbits didn't have a Merry Christmas...laffin'!

Nash got a jack, I got Peter Cottontail... We've been seeing more and more jacks around here, which is fine with me!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Had a decent sunset too.... smile

[Linked Image]

Ben
It is a model 1894 in 38-40. I only have 3 Marlins, being a Winchester guy. I do have 2 1889 Marlins, one in 44-40 and another in 38-40 in a SRC. They really are nice guns, just not Winchesters...

Very nice, I'm sure.. I love Winchesters too, but I have a soft spot for those old Marlins..
Mtcurman you putting these rabbit pies pictures on is making me want to go get a few cotton tails. The rabbits have sure came back big time down here this year
Good pistol shooting' Ben and Nash!
I'm just glad I ain't the one that has to keep those two outfitted with guns and ammo.....
Nash got the hoppers and 'straps off the jack this morning.. Looks like it'll be all right, but I ain't convinced yet.. grin

Laker, if you want the recipe for that pot pie, let me know.. Ingwe's got it too.. It's mighty good! Tom, we left a couple others for seed if you know what I mean... blush Don, Nash has been reloading his .45 lately... I've been having to conserve my ammo with the Single Six a little more than usual.. Dern .22s are still pretty hard to find.

Ben
Hey Ben,,,, I wouldn't mind a copy of that recipe if you'd be so kind.
I'd like to take a run at it with some Pheasant I've got in trhe freezer.
I'm covered up with Cotton Tail here but I don't shoot em cause their the main food source for my resident Cat pool.
Sally sure likes chasing em though. She'd probably make a rabbit dog if someone owned her that knew what he was doing.

TIA
Charlie
Now,,, back to the business at hand.

Had this Tom waiting for me this morning.
23# stretched 36+". Hope he don't shrink below 36" cause he's got a nice belly for these parts.

[Linked Image]
Nice cat Charlie! You're on a roll.. cool

Here's the pie recipe... Straight from my mom. smile

1 package Pillsbury pie crust (in the dairy section)
2 cans, any combo of the following soups: cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of chicken
1 can corn*
2 or 3 potatoes, diced and preboiled
mess (2-4 cups?)of precooked wabbit, squirrel, sharp, pheaz,etc., diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a deep dish pie pan with one of the pie crusts.
In large bowl, mix all ingredients together.
Put into lined pie dish. Cover with the other pie crust. Trim top crust, and pinch lower and upper crust together. Pierce top crust with knife or fork.

(Cut a ring of aluminum foil and put around edge of crust, taking it off for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time.)

Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until crust is golden.

*any variety of veggies may also be used(carrots, peas, green beans etc)along with any meat...basic pot pie.

It's delish.. Hope you like it(I think ya will...) smile

Ben
Thanks for the recipe Ben. Im going to have to go look for a couple of cotton tails tomorrow afternoon to make it for supper tomorrow night.
Thanks Ben
That's easy.

Oh,,, good thing she said store bought pie crust because that's the only kind I make:)
gotta try it ...thanks
Nice cat Charlie! You're on a roll.. cool

Here's the pie recipe... Straight from my mom. smile

1 package Pillsbury pie crust (in the dairy section)
2 cans, any combo of the following soups: cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of chicken
1 can corn*
2 or 3 potatoes, diced and preboiled
mess (2-4 cups?)of precooked wabbit, squirrel, sharp, pheaz,etc., diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a deep dish pie pan with one of the pie crusts.
In large bowl, mix all ingredients together.
Put into lined pie dish. Cover with the other pie crust. Trim top crust, and pinch lower and upper crust together. Pierce top crust with knife or fork.

(Cut a ring of aluminum foil and put around edge of crust, taking it off for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time.)

Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until crust is golden.

*any variety of veggies may also be used(carrots, peas, green beans etc)along with any meat...basic pot pie.

It's delish.. Hope you like it(I think ya will...) smile

Ben
Have fun with your pie-making, fellers.. Enjoy!

Laker, if you see any sharps, whack them too.. Multi-speices pie is the best kind... grin Charlie, Mom made homemade crusts for a while, but she's a big fan of Pillsbury now..grin
Funny,,,, I just got off the phone with my sister. She's loves to bake and was actually making a couple of pie's while we talked.
She says the same thing.
FieldGrade that's a nice cat
Originally Posted by laker
FieldGrade that's a nice cat

Thanks Laker
That pic doesn't do him justice.
He really is a well colored cat for this area.
My youngest brother is home from Bozeman on Christmas break and he has been after the coyotes. Of course he goes while I'm at work and can't go. He killed these two with his 17 hornet

Nasty mangy thing. I wouldn't have touched it!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Deertracker how did the 17 hornet do on the coyotes? Did they drop on the spot or run some? What bullet? I have yet to take my hornet out on coyotes but I have shot a fox with it.
Nice cat, Field.. They are beautiful animals..
Originally Posted by laker
Deertracker how did the 17 hornet do on the coyotes? Did they drop on the spot or run some? What bullet? I have yet to take my hornet out on coyotes but I have shot a fox with it.

I believe the both ran a bit. Not sure how far they were. We both shoot 20gr vmax
Yesterday...

[Linked Image]

Went to do alittle coyote calling today and didn't find anything for coyotes but I did get these two guys with the 220 swift Ackley. Decided to head shoot them so I could make Bens pot pie recipe. Amazing how high the heads fly with the swift.
[Linked Image]
before

[Linked Image]
After

Ben the rabbit pot pie recipe is great.
Awesome! Glad you liked it! I'm seein' another one in my close future... grin

And those rabs look like they completely lost their minds.... whistle I'm looking forward to head-chooting one or three with the 'two-fiddy...

Ben
the last of my '13 critters, unless a coyote comes to the bird pens before midnight..... 4 for 4 this afternoon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Huntsman22 is that your 17 hornet? I seen one of the ruger 17 hornets yesterday and I almost bought it to replace my ugly savage but dropped the money on a Ruger Blackhawk 357. Maybe next days off I will sneak outta town and pick it up. The rugers shoot good?
yup. dat's de whore-gnat. I'm thinking it shoots good enuff to be my new favorite rifle.....
Shoot, we're gonna hafta start the 2014 varmint killin' thread...

This was my last critter of two thousand thirteen... Wabbit shot at waaay too close range with a shotgun whilst hunting sharpies... eek

[Linked Image]

Nash got a sharp though..

[Linked Image]

Happy New Year fellers... cool

Ben
Happy New Year to you and Nash too Ben.

Hoping to have a New Years Day Cat waiting for me tomorrow to post in the 2014 dead critter thread.

Stay safe tonight boys.
Thanks Charlie.. I hope ya got a big ol' spotted tom waiting for you in a '550 tomorrow... grin

We're just hanging around tonight, plotting tomorrows game plan.. Last day of bird season and all. whistle

Ben
© 24hourcampfire