I have a $500 credit at my local gun store and with 3 kids coming up the ranks, I think I will use it to add a rifle to the stable. Currently I have a 300WSM bolt for myself for elk, a BAR 7mm Mag and a Ruger American .243. I have a 11 yo girl and twin 7 yo boys. I plan to take them on western big game hunts throughout their teenage years. We will hunt antelope, muleys and maybe some elk as they get older. So this rifle should be the most versatile at this point. The plan is to start taking them when they are 12. I figure I can control the 12-18 years, but once college hits...then careers....then families....I have 7 years to enjoy hunting with my kids for sure and have made myself a promise to take them every year. Starting with antelope with my daughter when she turns 12 all the way up to a potential elk hunt with big, strapping 18 yo boys, given my current stable, give me some ideas on calibers please!

I have considered 30/06, .270, 7mm-08, 25/06, .280, etc. I do not reload. Recoil will be an issue for my daughter during the early years (although she shot a deer with her 20 ga last year). I have stared at ballistic charts and looked up felt recoil. I want something that offers a lot of bullet choices over the counter. I certainly may need to buy another 1 or 2 as well. Maybe that is the answer....3 antelope/muley rifles and 3 muley/elk rifles (in addition to mine)....but that is a lot of doggone cashola. I am spinning in cirlces! Any helping thoughts would really be appreciated.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.