I'm not talking about the original Philadelphia Derringer which was a caplock or flintlock single shot or the modern tiny revolvers by NAA. I'm speaking of two-shot, over and under barreled derringers such as the old Remington but updated into modern calibers and typified by American Derringer. Stuff like American Derringer, FIE, etc. The High Standard .22 Mag. would also fit in here.

Anybody consider them viable either as a primary CCW or backup? I am not thinking about one for myself, nor do I currently own one. I just thought perhaps they were worthy of discussion.

I have owned some in the past. Back in the nineties, the Davis Derringer could be gotten for around $50 new. It was touted as "good for the money". Even in those halcyon days of yesteryear $50 wasn't much so...IIRC they were made of zinc alloy and came in .22 and .22 Mag. Later after the Seecamp made a splash and Marshall's One Shot Stop index made the 32 ACP Silvertip look almost as good as the 380, the same gun was to be had in 32. Even later I believe they came out with a bit larger model in 38 Spec. I had a couple of these and carried one a bit. They were a cute little gun but only two shots of .22 or Mag. ain't much. I don't recall ever carrying the 32 I owned briefly. Or shooting it.

I owned one American Derringer. It was a beautiful gun but no bargain at IIRC $200-300. Mine was a 38 Spec. and kicked enough. I can't imagine being man enough to shoot one of the "Alaskan Survival" models in 45-70. I remember a guy taking one outside a gunstore I used to frequent and shooting it with 410 into the store owner's woodpile or some such. The guy wasn't a volunteer for a second shot.

The High Standard was supposedly a favorite of deep cover cops back in the seventies or eighties. I believe American Derringer acquired the rights to it and still makes it, but I could be wrong. I've never owned one.

Thoughts?