Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

The High Standard was supposedly a favorite of deep cover cops back in the seventies or eighties. I believe American Derringer acquired the rights to it and still makes it, but I could be wrong. I've never owned one.

Thoughts?

The HS derringer was a favorite for cop back up guns back in the day. Largely because there was nothing smaller than a J frame Smith or D frame Colt that could be fired by simply pulling the trigger.

This was the day of the 25 auto, for the smallest hideout gun available, but they were sorta like carrying a baby copperhead in your pocket. Deadly, but not altogether user friendly.

The HS derringer was more or less a DA two shooter. Better than a sharp stick, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have a good sharp knife, for the self defense work the HS derringer was designed for. (Near contact distance)

The revolutionary Kel Tec P32 spelled the end of the various and sundry 25 autos. Likewise, the NAA mini 22 and 22 magnum revolver put a severe crimp in the derringer territory.

There will always be a set of folks who like the IDEA of the stack barrel derringer. Why, I don't know, except that maybe they grew up watching Maverick on TV.

Generally, The current crop of Derringers are comical to me. Bond Arms and others still make them, and charge as much as one could expect to pay for a decent self defense firearm, but they are no more useful than the Davis or Cobra, as far as hitting what you might have to shoot at. If they have a redeeming quality, it would be in the superior materials they are made out of.

If a person wanted one just because he doesn't have one in his or her collection, I'd say, why not, just buy a good one. That being said, I can't think of a situation where I would recommend one for self defense carry.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis