I turn 73 in a couple of months with chronic tendonitis in knees, shoulders, elbows and wrists so I have to pace myself. My solution is a Kimber 84L in 270. Recoil with a 150 g. bullet at 3,000 fps is crisp. The rifle with scope, sling and 4 rounds is 6 lb. 10 oz. When shot alternately with my 7MM Rem Mag with 175 grain bullets at about the same velocity, it is my perception that the 270 comes back a little faster but no harder. But the 7 Mag weighs 2 lbs more. For me the Kimber stock works very well and while I would not like any more recoil (thoughts of a 30-06 in that rifle make me blanch!) and I've toyed with the idea of having it re barreled to 7X57. Given my age, I won't. I like a 24" barrel because of the reduced muzzle blast, otherwise would have bought a 7MM-08.

The next lightest rifle I own is a 7.5 lb. 30-06 and I would not like it any lighter. I have other rifles with scope that weigh 7 3/4 pounds, but add sling and a magazine full of cartridges and they go over 8 lbs. It is noticeably easier for me to carry the Kimber especially on steep slopes and thick brush.

It is a personal decision that only you can make because we all differ in size, strength, agility, endurance and ailments due to age. All others can do is offer what seems to work for them; but only you can sort though the advice and make the decision the best applies to you.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson