Originally Posted by patbrennan
Been there, done that, with a whelen. At something less than 8lb scoped full power 250 grain loads were "enough".

I was tweaking 250 Hornady (2500+) and 225 TSX (2700+) loads this afternoon in a 7#, 12 oz Whelen.

... maybe that explains my headache...

Originally Posted by JMR40
Unless I just wanted to spend more money one of the Ruger Americans in any of the short action calbers will come in under 7 lbs with a Leupold scope. The 7-08 or 308 won't beat you up in a rifle that light. You'll never notice the difference in performance compared to 30-06 which will beat you up in a 7 lb rifle.

I'd also suggest taking a long look at this setup. While I'm certainly a fan of the Marlin X7 bolt guns, the RAR is lighter. I set up a .308 this winter with Weaver rings and a VX1 2-7. I can't decide whether I like most that it's light & points like a setter, that it prints small groups with Federal blue box 150's, or that it was < $400, all-up.

That being said, I'd not dissuade you from considering a Kimber if it's in your budget. A sample of 1 has given me the opinion that their stock design does an excellent job of dealing with recoil for my particular body.

Let us know what you decide on.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC