I have owned several Ruger Number 1's over the almost 50 years. All of them have been red pad guns made before Ruger started making their own barrels. Some I could get to shoot well enough and some never responded to to any of my efforts. The easiest ones I worked with were the heavier barreled guns, .458, 45-70, .375 and, oddly, a Number 3 in .30-40 Krag whose barrel had about the same exterior dimensions as my .45-70. Seemed to me the lighter barrels, particularly the 1A configuration were much more difficult to get to shoot properly. A recent red pad 1A in 30-06 shot great 1" groups...horizontally, 9" groups vertically. That said....

I just ran across a new 7-08 1A. I think this is from a run of rifles marketed by Lipseys. Probably the best wood I have seen on any of the recent Number 1's I've examined. Price is right also and I am getting the old itch to own another, but a Number 1's can be like a beautiful wife who treats you badly. Wonderful to look at but you are secretly contemplatinga divorce.

I've read some good things about the newer Number 1's. I am in love...but cautious. Should I seal the deal? What's the experience out there on the newer Number 1's?

Last edited by meddybemps; 05/25/17.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.