I am a few days late in posting about the second new Number 1...this one a 1S in 30-06. Like the 7-08, I think I am going to like this rifle also.. but it's certainly not perfect..My initial impressions follow.

The first thing that you'd notice is that the stock is decidedly plain and not as nicely finished as my older Number 1's. The stock color is much lighter than earlier older guns, not unattractive, but kind of disappointing if you are used to seeing No. 1's with really nice wood. Let's call it a good, solid, but unremarkable piece of walnut. Metal finish, like the stock, is not up to the standards of older guns... adequate by current standards, but the polish seen on older guns is just not there. I was unable to measure the trigger pull...it was off the scale... I am going to guess that it's a 6 lbs plus pull...and likely more. The heavy trigger made it hard to shoot well off the bench.

So now we come to the safety. I have seen three examples of this run of '06's in the 1S configuration and each one of them have had issues with the safety. Two, including mine, had safeties that were very hard to work. Getting the safety to work on mine was so hard that I actually thought it was defective. An evening moving the safety on and off produced a blister on my thumb and minor blood loss. Let's be kind, the safety required a bit of break in to work properly. Another 1S I looked at year ago had a safety that was so loose that it would spring froward at the merest touch. Not a safe condition. I am left with the impression that quality control in Newport, NH was not what it should have been.

Continued below.

Last edited by meddybemps; 07/15/17.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.