Thank you all who have replied to my question. I continue to be impressed by the depth of knowledge that exists here on the Campfire. You were all kind enough to take the time to post answers so it's the least I can do to tell you the REST of the story.

When I started this thread, I was really torn between my affection for Number 1's and my memories of frustrating afternoons at the range trying to get one or another of them to shoot decently. There was nice 7-08 on sale at the local Cabelas. Attractive wood with pronounced grain in the butt stock and a trace of fiddleback on the forend; if it shot well, it would be a really fun deer rifle. But, having been burned before I was cautious. I simply do not have the time or the patience to deal with a finicky rifle..... hence my question here as to how well the newer No. 1's shoot.

From what I read in your replies, the newer rifles have better barrels than the older red pad guns that have given me so much grief. Sooooo, thus emboldened by your encouragements, and knowing that I could sue your butts off if it didn't work out, I bought the rifle.....well, actually, that's not entirely true, my wife bought the rifle...it was my birthday. ( I have learned to always bring my long-suffering and indulgent spouse to gun shops on or around my birthday. I am ashamed...not really...to admit that over the years this tactic has resulted in some very nice additions to the collection.....last year a straight gripped, 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth, bent for a left hander no less.I digress.)

Well, in spite of the twists and turns of this tale,that's not entirely the end of the story. Seeing that the 7-08 was on my wife's credit card, it only seems fitting to celebrate my eighth decade and my entry into full blown geezerhood, that I mark the occasion with a purchase of my own....and Number 1's were on sale and the price has gone up sharply this year ($1829 from Lipseys?!! ) and, well, I have always wanted a 1S in 30-06 and a 24 inch barrel would get the most of an '06 and, I am getting tired of knocking off stuff with synthetic stocked bolt actions that have no soul, and, and, and, damn...OK I bought it.

So there, because of you guys, I bought not one, but two new Number 1's. My impressions and preliminary shooting results follow.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.