I have been to the range three times with the 1S. Results, while not spectacular, are very encouraging. I threw together some 180 grain loads that have proved accurate in other rifles. Powders were IMR 4451, H4350, Hunter and IMR 4007. Bullets were Hornady SP's and Nosler partitions.Cases were Winchester and primers were all Federal 210's. I made no attempt to tailor the loads to the rifle other than seating bullets 20 thousandths short of the lands. All powder charges were near or at max for the '06 and were taken from reliable sources. All were run through a Hornady concentricity gauge and all were within.002"

The bad news first; The rifle hates any of the loads with Hunter...Groups ran from 2.00"s to over 3.00"s. Let's ignore these for a moment.. the H4350 groups ran about 1.25", the IMR4007 groups were right at 1.50" and the IMR4451 loads were right at 1.25". So, without putting too fine a point on it, it seems the rifle is capable of 1.25 to 1.50" after a dozen or so groups. This is a small sample,so I wouldn't read too much into it. Spreading the targets out on the floor and looking at them, another pattern seems to emerge. Several of the groups have two shot touching with one shot hanging out... usually high or low...but definitely vertical. I think that fiddling with the bedding of the forend will most likely fix that.

Both guns, the 7-08 and the '06 are off to the gunsmith for recoil pads, trigger jobs, weather proofing and bedding work. That's going to be another $150 per gun to get them to where they should have been when they left the factory. I anticipate will both shoot a bit better when i get them back. If not, it's back to the Number 1 Rodeo. I am getting too old for this.

I'll keep you posted.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.