Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
For civillian defensive uses the tactical maneuvering stuff is far less important than shooting well, IMO...
Agreed...
Basic level of competence at arms is essential, beginning with marksmanship...if you can't hit a stationary target, moving on to tactics isn't going to do you much good.

Next is learning how to move safely in a tactical situation, and weapon handling / manipulation is very important. Have to know how to move in a fluid environment while maintaining basic gun safety. When doing force on force exercises, those not in the fray are observers. It's amazing how frequently people cover themselves, parts of their body, or their partner with the muzzle of their gun while moving around during an engagement. Or watching people's trigger fingers drifting toward the trigger as the tension rises. I can remember at least twice where there were ND's during movement. I don't recall anyone shooting themselves during my class, but the instructor informed me it was far more common than anyone would like to admit. It becomes even more of a problem after the first rounds go off. Many who were completely safe leading up to the event, completely disregard all safety after the first round flies. A scenario where it's a room clearing sort of thing, they do well until they hit "the" room...a shot is fired, everyone either returns fire, or goes for cover....from that point on, often you'll see that fingers never come off triggers regardless of what's happening. It's eye opening!

A lot of people either don't think about this or brush it off because they're "safe on the range", but it would be rather embarrassing to begin your gunfight by putting the first round into yourself. And doing so could significantly degrade your performance for the second act of the gunfight.