Originally Posted by Yondering
Blue - you mention par times of 2 seconds, etc. Is that from concealment, or race gun holsters? Carry ammo or light game gun ammo?

I tried the Bill Drill yesterday, starting from concealment with hands at my sides I wasn't able to get below 2.40 seconds, probably need to work on drawing faster because that was most of the time. Splits were ~.20 give or take a little. Thoughts?

It's the standard given to me to use from a no-retention kydex holster. Standard ammo. Some of the 115grain factory ammo I've had wasn't strong enough to use in competition. For drills like this it won't make much, if any, difference.

.2 splits puts you at a 1.4 draw...? That's pretty quick from concealment, at least it would be for me. I'd be looking at your splits. What are you shooting?

Getting your draw down to a 1.2ish and splits to .17ish gets you real close.

What I've found is that people can shoot at 7 yards MUCH faster than they think they can. When I shoot a Bill Drill I'm pulling the trigger almost as fast as I can.

There are two things that slow people down on drills like this, and they're sort of related.

Try this.... Set up a target and load up two mags of twelve rounds. Fire three sets of 6 just into the berm beside the target. Don't focus on anything at all, just death grip the gun and run the trigger as fast as you can. Do it with your eyes closed if you find yourself focusing on a "target" on the berm. Pay attention to how that feels. Then aim the gun at the target, focus your eyes entirely on the target (no sight focus at all), and fire the last six rounds at that same pace. With a good grip and assuming you're not shooting some sort of crazy hot round you'll probably put all six rounds in the A box.

People normally don't shoot that fast because (1) They're not confident that they can control the recoil and keep the rounds in the A zone and (2) They're over aiming.
--The first drill solves the first problem and starts addressing the second problem.

Then do this to help finish solving the second problem....

At 7 yards fire three or four rounds with perfect sight alignment at the center of the target (no time limit, put them all in one hole). Next, get that same sight picture, but deviate your front sight (front sight only, don't move the rear of the gun at all) all the way to the left of the rear notch. Fire three or four more rounds for accuracy. Do the same thing to the right.

What I've found doing this sight deviation drill is that at 7 yards all I need is to see most of my fiber optic in the rear notch. I have have the front sight 1/3 out of the rear notch and still get A hits. That's what finally convinced me that I was over aiming. You'll lose a lot of time on drills like this by looking for a good sight picture, even if you're just barely looking for it, for each shot. If your splits are .2s I'd bet that's happening. Do this drill and you'll allow yourself to stay target focused and just see the front sight moving around in the A box in your "blurry vision". That little bit of time you make up on each of six shots ends up being substantial.

Originally Posted by Yondering
I'm using a smartphone app too that doesn't always pick up all the shots, so I had to discard about half of the times I shot.

That's why I rarely even recommend them anymore. They can be so finicky that you just spend your range session farting around with your phone and being frustrated with that instead of focusing on your shooting.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling