Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I don't believe in hitting the same target in the same place more than once is good training.
No doubt Bleu's response to this will be ridicule...this forum gets a bit repetitive.

There are those who feel only their type of training is valid; this forum is full of them. But there can be any number of training regimines that work well regardless of whether they make sense to us, whether we like them, or whether they fit with the "hive mind". Example: the Israeli technique for handgun combat seems foolish by Western standards, yet it fits their society, and has proven to be more than adequate in the real world...Few get more actual shooting incidents than the Israeli's.

Various US military units have changed their training to something similar to what you describe above. I remember reading an article about special ops training (don't recall which unit), and due to the new prevalence of hard plate body armor many are now training to put their first round into the pelvis, then follow up with a head shot, basically skipping the upper chest shot altogether.

John Farnam refers to your opponent (BG, or target, etc) as "the problem" and your shooting is merely working the problem until it's no longer a problem. He used a 3D target held up with a balloon in one of 3 chambers decades ago. Not until you hit the supporting balloon would the target fall, and you have solved the problem. Chambers were abdominal, chest, head. Most would start off with two shots to the chest. Then you had the choice of head or abdominal cavity to find the "solution". It was good training...not difinitive, but good.

So I see nothing wrong with that type of training. Personally I will shoot two shots to each point of aim because a second shot to the same point of aim (as demonstrated by Bleu's Bill Drill) takes but a fraction of a second, while changing your point of aim is 2-3x as long as split times in between rounds.

BG's pumped up on drugs, etc. sometimes are very hard to stop.
It doesn't take drugs...There are countless cases of highly motivated individuals who were not on drugs soaking up crazy numbers of bullets and continuing to fight.

I don't have or want a timer. The only thing I want are meaningful hits.
Meaningful hits are of paramount importance. But what if it takes too long to get them?

You cannot improve what you don't measure. Handgun combat shooting, whether you like it or not, will come down to speed & accuracy; which is why all the combat shooting games score based on speed and accuracy. I would want to measure both elements, not just one.