Roger,
watching animals do what they are bred to do, wild or captive, has a special part in some folk's psyches I think. Watching our whippets or a 'yote or films of wolves hunting as dogs do is something I really enjoy. As I do with watching the cock quail and pheasants in my yard in the spring. They are territorial and will fight in a similar manner to "gamecocks". Bloody sport that cock fighting, not one I'd participate in, unless perhaps they left off the blades. Still not sure how I feel about others doing it, but our "society" seems to think it out of bounds at the present time.

GunDoc7,
thanks for the synopsis. Exactly what we used to see on TV from Tijuana in the 60's, the whole show, not just the capework and killing. Many, if not most, folks in the non bullfighting countries have no idea.

muffin,
I'll chime in regarding fishing (not trapping, no experience there). As a professional in the fish world it pains me to watch fishing programs of the River Monsters and sportsfishing types. If you're not going to retain the fish for the table, get the damn thing back underwater! Don't be holding it, admiring it and describing your prowess as the great fisherman you undoubtedly are, the friggen thing is suffocating. Having it out of the water for more than minimally necessary, while not torture, does produce stress and associated hormones (cortisol etc) that make it difficult for the fish to recover. You can tell us about what you caught it on, endorse your sponsors' products, wax poetic about the beauty of the scenery and the fish, blah blah blah, but have some concern for the fish you are supposedly wishing to live to fight another day. They don't belong out in the air. If you are going to retain it, kill the dang thing quickly and get it on ice or bled/cleaned and cooled down somehow. Kinda like game meat. wink

Now, what other topic can we come up with that will sharply divide the campfire population? Poppies are prettier than Peonies?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?