Pretty hard to shoot prone off a pack in 2 ft high brush or 15 inches of snow. I don't think the OP is interested in off hand or field positions. .If so so he would not have asked about bipods.Typical answers on the fire though.

In my early years ,I shot .06 Garands and 03's competitively for abou tten years,and I could do better than average. I was comfortable taking a 100 yard off hand shot at deer or elk . Those leagues were ran from early May to late September, ,twice a month, 50 rounds a match and I shot at least that many in the week between the match. A person isn't going to get competent shooting 10-15 rounds once a week for a month or so on field positions.

Now,at times,I will use trees, stumps, rocks or whatever is handy,but if I am set up,I'll sure go with the most solid rest I can find.A bipod does that for me. I like the ones with a head that swivels and telescoping legs. I had a pair that folded with shock cord and they wer to wobbly.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/05/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles