You are kinda disagreeing with yourself.

1st post:

Neither.You should be able to take up to a 150 yard shot in any position, including standing, and hit a 10" circle.

Last post:

If that means the hunter only shoots off a rest, so be it, as long as they are proficient in that manner.

I am working on 5 decades of hunting. Give yourself twenty more years and you will see your eye sight fade ,which means iron sights get really fuzzy. Muzzle loading season gets to be tough. Range time ,your eyes are good for about twenty shots( even with a scope). I don't travel 1000 miles,more like 200. I go to the range now days,about 5 times a year. Shooting using a bipod and a scope,I can still put 3 bullets in an inch and a half group at 200 yards. Two years ago I punched tags for an elk, a moose, a deer and an antelope. Last year, an elk, a deer, and two antelope, all but one using a bipod. ( a tree was used)

Firing a BB gun in the garage is not going to give a person muscle conditioning and control of a 7-8 pound rifle and there is big difference in trigger quality. Plus those sights on a BBgun are like a muzzle loader, 20 shots and they can't be focused on. I can still knock over minature rams and such with an air rifle off hand at 10 feet, but I sure wouldn't want to try to kill an elk at 100 yards off hand.

Muscles/joints at 70+ years don't hold up to offhand.Knees don't work for kneeling.Sitting works with a bipod. I applaud your capabilities and shooting proficiency, but things will change for you during the next twenty years.

I guess all us old farts ought to just hang it up and sit home in the rocking chair.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles