Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by desertshooter
Originally Posted by memtb
slingblade, I don't remember when I started using (homemade)sticks.....But it's been a long darn time!! My longest (not that long for some) has been an elk at 400 and most recently an antelope @ 420 and a coyote @ 380 during the "goat" hunt. Sticks can be used for much more than just shooting. Can help with balance in rough terrain also we've used them several times to cross a snow covered rock fields to prevent stepping between rocks and "bust'n" an ankle or leg! memtb

I've used 4' hardwood dowels with a leather wrap forearm protector, everything to build a set or two can be had at home depot or local hardware store for $4-5 bucks
Desertshooter

Four foot 0.5" poplar dowels are now going over $4 each at MY local hardware store.

That said, while light collapsible hiking sticks are a great option and I do have a couple, I did buy the poplar dowels too and I am now treating them with tung oil.

I do recall when I hunted in Zambia, the professional hunter did bring along a set of 4' wooden sticks for us to use.

(It may not be PC to say so, but one of the trackers was tasked with carrying them. On his behalf, unlike some others, our PH did carry his own rifle. He had served in the King's African Rifles back in the days of Northern Rhodesia and knew the value of having it on hand.)

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).