Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Neither. You should be able to take up to a 150 yard shot in any position, including standing, and hit a 10" circle. If that's not possible, range time is in order. If it's beyond that range, my experience is such that some sort of alternative rest is available, e.g. tree stump, fallen log, standing tree, backpack, boulder, etc. For me, less is better during elk season, I like to be light and mobile. If you have time to take out shooting sticks, then you have time to take off your pack and use it as a rest. If you are thinking about a 500 yard shot, the rifle has to be on a solid rest, not wobbly sticks supported by your weak hand.

Wait until you get a few more decades under your belt, you might just think differently. A month at the range firing every day,is not going to get the average hunter proficient in off hand shooting. A back pack cannot be used as rest when the brush is 2 ft tall or 15 inch snow or such. Some folks do not have access to range every day.The one I belong to is 45 miles away.

Even if a person is able, a rest is always advisable if available and there is time vs off hand shooting.
I have taken an elk almost every year for the last 30+ years and I'd bet I did not use an off hand shot butv2-3 times and that was when the elk was probably 50 feet or less away

Agreed. At 69 I'm not sure an offhand shot would be my best option. I use walking sticks and loop the wrist bands around the others handle. Works great and is fast. I have also been out there for 30+ years, although I only have 22 elk, and like SS I have had very few shots under 100 yards. Over that and I will need support. My walking sticks are great for keeping me off the ground in the snow and shooting over 100 yards. I also have a Trigger Stick and the walking sticks are overall better, faster and just as effective. Also, a tree is not always available.