Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Neither. You should be able to take up to a 150 yard shot in any position, including standing, and hit a 10" circle. If that's not possible, range time is in order. If it's beyond that range, my experience is such that some sort of alternative rest is available, e.g. tree stump, fallen log, standing tree, backpack, boulder, etc. For me, less is better during elk season, I like to be light and mobile. If you have time to take out shooting sticks, then you have time to take off your pack and use it as a rest. If you are thinking about a 500 yard shot, the rifle has to be on a solid rest, not wobbly sticks supported by your weak hand.

Wait until you get a few more decades under your belt, you might just think differently. A month at the range firing every day,is not going to get the average hunter proficient in off hand shooting. A back pack cannot be used as rest when the brush is 2 ft tall or 15 inch snow or such. Some folks do not have access to range every day.The one I belong to is 45 miles away.

Even if a person is able, a rest is always advisable if available and there is time vs off hand shooting.
I have taken an elk almost every year for the last 30+ years and I'd bet I did not use an off hand shot butv2-3 times and that was when the elk was probably 50 feet or less away

I agree that if a rest is available it should be used. On the other issues, I have to politely disagree. In 33 years of deer and elk hunting, I can only recall maybe three times a rest was used and I don't recall a shot over 200 yards. I totally understand everyone's hunting situation will be different, but that's over 3 decades of experience for me. And I strongly disagree with the shooting skill part. Any hunter ethically taking game needs to be proficient with their weapon. Period. If that means the hunter only shoots off a rest, so be it, as long as they are proficient in that manner. The range part doesn't fly with me either. Standing, kneeling, sitting, prone can all be practiced using a BB/pellet gun in a garage, even more so with dry firing. Ask any pro shooter how they got good...dry firing will be top of the list. If hunters can find a way to travel 1000's of miles to hunt, they can surely drive 45 miles a few times to practice beyond that of their BB gun.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 07/07/17. Reason: spelling