I'v got a BOG tripod that can double as a walking stick if one is careful - probably not a good idea, but it is as lightweight as the below walking stick - and steadier for shooting, not for walking. Haven't used it on game but once yet (standing shot), and while it is steadier than a standing, sling-wrap offhand (my other choice at the time), it will never take the place of a nice prone, over the pack/rock/ log position, if you can get it.

i still have several padded forked 6' long birch-cut walking sticks that I've used for many years prior, but only found need for shooting once or twice, either due to "right now" close range shots, or the availability of a better rest. Sure are handy when one has 75 lbs or more on one's back tho! But those can often be cut on site, as needed.

Now that I think about it, I did once use one on a moose stand, laid horizontally across two willow forks to create a good rest from a sitting position Worked, too, when a young bull showed up 30 minutes later at 150 yards.

Last edited by las; 07/24/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.