Originally Posted by slingblade
I am looking for advice on what you guys use. I can see pro and cons of both. I understand most elk shot close. But where we hunting there is the chance for some 400 to 500 shots across canyons.

You don't have top choose between them. In this case I used the Primos Trigger Stick, 272 yards.

[Linked Image]

Nowadays I use the Primos Trigger Stick tripod rather than their bipod and dispense with the rifle mounted bipod. Took my longest game shot ever off the tripod, 487 yards, cow down.

Upside of the sticks is they can be used as a cane, although Primos instructions say not to do so. Before my hip replacement, as in photo above, I couldn't have gotten around without something and the Trigger Stick worked pretty well. Downside to the sticks is you have to carry them in hand. Tripod is much more stable than bipod, although bipod can be steadied against a tree for more stability.

Downside to the rifle mounted bipods are several, but they have advantages, too. Downsides have been mentioned in posts above by others.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.