Originally Posted by desertshooter
Originally Posted by memtb
slingblade, I don't remember when I started using (homemade)sticks.....But it's been a long darn time!! My longest (not that long for some) has been an elk at 400 and most recently an antelope @ 420 and a coyote @ 380 during the "goat" hunt. Sticks can be used for much more than just shooting. Can help with balance in rough terrain also we've used them several times to cross a snow covered rock fields to prevent stepping between rocks and "bust'n" an ankle or leg! memtb

I started with 3' homemade sticks for coyote hunting, (better adapted for a sitting position) and quickly made a pair of 4' for deer/antelope hunting, they work for a good walking stick and steady staff like memtb said.

Even at relatively close ranges they real help steady the shot, or binos when glassing. they are tall enough that a shot can be made over brush and tall grass that often prohibits a prone position, or a rifle attached bipod from getting above.

I've used 4' hardwood dowels with a leather wrap forearm protector, everything to build a set or two can be had at home depot or local hardware store for $4-5 bucks
Desertshooter

Four foot 0.5" poplar dowels are now going over $4 each at MY local hardware store.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).