Originally Posted by bwinters
Interesting discourse - and no one has told someone they are an idiot. Simply amazing!

Pondered this myself a while back. Settled on the 200 gr Noz in the 300. I don't have huge experience with either combo beyond a small sample of animals. The more big game I shoot or see shot the less I believe in 'knock down' 'oomph' 'shock' or any other term used to describe the effect of bullet impact on flesh, bone, and blood. The keys to knockdown seem to be bone and CNS disruption. In my mind the distinction comes down to the volume of the wound channel - a bigger wound channel wins. Slight differences aren't all that significant which is why some of the bullet/cartridge arguments are exercises in observation/experience. I think JB should shoot a bunch of bullets from a bunch of different cartridges into ballistic wax and measure the volume of the wound channel. I'd hazard a guess that 3-4 classes of wound channels would exist.

This is very true. The conversation reminds me of the 7RM vs. .300WM or the .270 vs. .30-06 debates. Slight differences between chamberings that are far more alike than different.