Originally Posted by mtnsnake
A 300 mag can shoot a lot flatter.

Trajectory compensation is elementary... windage not so much, at least for me. (SWAG usually works... smile ) Which would drift less, a 225 gr .338 round, or a .300 220 gr. load (or use 210 and 200, respectively, if you prefer) at comparible near max respective velocities? Seems to me , considering offhand, faster velocity would give the wind less time to act on bullets of similar weight the same way gravity has less time to influence?

I will add that perceived recoil also depends on muzzle blast. I've found I have less perceived recoil (and the better I shoot) the more better my hearing protection with the same gun and loads. I double up plugs and muffs on the "range", if I can.

Also include visual muzzle-jump. A porting system (Mag-Na-Port on my .338) also reduces felt recoil by dampening recoil energy , and by reducing muzzle rise. It may contribute to it by increased decibels, however.

I can tell you that my RU77 , 17 inch barreled, .30-06 with shortened/slimmed stock (probably around 7.5 lbs with scope) is not as pleasant to shoot under any circumstances as the 9 lb or so scoped RU77 .338 with Magna-port. The 9 lb M98, 27 inch heavy barreled '06 is a real pussycat - almost down to the same felt recoil as the Rem725 .260, (20" bbl?) both of which I can shoot off sandbags or whatever with no forend hold without problem.

Last edited by las; 07/20/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.