Originally Posted by 222Rem
My best guess is the increased muzzle velocity also causes proportionate recoil velocity, and that's what creates the painful bite.
My .338 is more of a heavy push (which mathematically might be heavier than the .300's numbers), but is spread out over enough milliseconds to not hurt,
while the .300Win gets recoils so quickly that my body takes a full hit rather than recoiling with the rifle.

Recoil Vel. is higher with 225gn 338win than 300win 180gn. I performed various calcs using a range of typical powder charges for each,
including the heaviest charge weights for both cartridges from Nosler data. (75gn for .338 and 81gn for .300win)

One is effectively applying a higher level of whats technically called "Tamping" of an explosive charge when loading with a heavier projectile.
Increased tamping even on a lower charge can produce more redirection of HE/HV force than lighter tamping of a heavier explosive charge.

Cases, primers,chambers, bolts and barrels are also forms of mechanical tamping, as they are designed to contain and re-direct blast force.
then you carefully complete the tamp process by capping with a projectile.. if against the lands you may be dangerously tamping too much!!.. grin

Anyone here who has trained with setting up various forms of demolition charges will understand what I mean.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.