Originally Posted by 222Rem
Both rifles had the loads worked up and zeroed off a bench, so the posture was same/same...........and ideal for maximizing the felt recoil. Both rifles "feel" llike they're coming straight back, and neither bites me in the cheek bone.

My best guess is the increased muzzle velocity also causes proportionate recoil velocity, and that's what creates the painful bite. My .338 is more of a heavy push (which mathematically might be heavier than the .300's numbers), but is spread out over enough milliseconds to not hurt, while the .300Win gets recoils so quickly that my body takes a full hit rather than recoiling with the rifle.

I know that mathematics always tells the truth, so I don't doubt the lighter .338, shooting a heavier bullet is technically the "heavier recoiler" on paper. But the perceived "recoil curve" is very tolerable, while the heavier gun/lighter bullet .300Win isn't. And Ruger's idea of a recoil pad does a fine job of staying out of the equation altogether. Someday I'll buy a Simms slip-on for my .300, and give it another try.

I would certainly agree that the .338 seems to push while the .300 magnums seem to hit much more quickly. So much so I rarely use mine.

I did just buy a .300 Weatherby M-70 push feed and except for a Limb saver pad and bedding it is pretty stock. It doesn't seem to recoil as bad as the .338 when loaded with 180's. I hope it stays that way when I get a 200 grain load worked up. I really like the way 200 grain .308 Noslers perform on game.