jeffbird,

Have posted this before, but here goes again:

I started using E-Tips on big game before they ever appeared on the market, in 2007 taking some 180 prototypes to South Africa for testing during a big cull hunt. A hunting partner and I took maybe 10-12 animals with them, from springbok at around 400 to blue wildbeest close up. They worked very well, whether farther off on light game or close up when hitting heavy bone. One of the wildebeest was deliberately shot in the big shoulder joint as it quartered toward me at about 100 yards. The bullet broke the joint and ended up under the hide at the rear of the ribcage, retaining 180 grains--because it actually weighed 182 grain to start with, since Nosler forgot to factor in the 2 grains of the plastic tip.

Since then my hunting partners (including my wife) and I have shot quite a few more animals with E-Tips, from coyotes and pronghorns to zebra and bull elk. The bullets ran from the 90-grain 6mm at about 3375 fps in the .240 Weatherby to 180's in the .300 WSM on big bull elk. Eileen also took a big zebra (about the size of a mature bull elk, with 150 E-Tips in the .308 Winchester, along with a male ostrich, a big warthog, and several other animals.

I can't really say the on-game performance is any different than other tipped monolithics such as the TTSX or Hornady GMX. All three have expanded well and penetrated plenty on game from under 100 pounds to 800 or so. How accurately E-Tips shoot depends on the rifle, but in over 90% of the rifles I've tried them in they've shot very well. If they don't at first, they often respond to deeper seating, just like other monolithics.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck