Thanks for those thoughts, Jordan. I appreciate you sharing your experience and observations.

I've long been interested in velocity as a function of terminal performance with different type bullets. Ingwe's observation of little or no blood trail, stunt shooting small caliber Barnes, compared to my post of the "fire hose" blood trail from the Barnes 250 gr. .45-70, chest shot WT. Barnes all the way, size does matter, results differ.

I've read accounts of old timers, hunting big game in Africa, using big bullets at moderate velocity, generally in the 2,200-2,400 fps range. Those were and are very lethal but manageable loads. Cranking the speed may not always produce the anticipated result.

Monos seem to perform best, pushed hard, but a recent thread was questioning that. www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12160469

One poster said monos can't be moving too fast. Maybe, manbe not.

How did the old classics, Swede, 7x57, '06, etc. become so famous? They were (are) quite effective killers of BG, have been for years, will continue to be. They have time honored ballistic balance, bullets/velocity.

OK, OK, what's the bottom line here. There are many variables in this business: game being hunted, skill of the shooter, POI, range, bullet design, velocity and how all those factors intermesh. Some conclusions can be made, but I don't think there IS a final definitive statement covering all contengencies. If it was that simple, we Loonies wouldn't have anything to argue about, anything to wake us up at night to ponder... smile

IMO.

DF