I generally push all monos fast. I have shot enough deer with fast monos at 25 feet or less to know that they work just fine at very high impact speeds. When I start with a new mono or one that I have questions about, I normally will seek to define a lower limit of acceptable performance. I use water jugs and look for the speed at which full expansion stops. It's not a correlation to what happens on game, but it is a good start. The Barnes bullets with the huge hollow points do pretty much what you'd expect. The 125 grain .357 will work nicely down below 900 FPS, 38 caliber range. 30-30 150 TSXs will fully expand down to 1100 fps, likewise with muzzle loader bullets. I have not seen a Barnes fragment. I have seen shed petals. The .25-06 100 grain at as high as 3450 is perfect. The 80 grain 25 caliber at 3650 holds together. 130 grain TSX and TTSX out of a 300 win mag at 3480 holds together.

What I have seen of Monos and bone in deer leads me to believe that up around 3000 FPS and faster, there doesn't seem to be much difference between bone and soft tissue. I have only seen one instance of proof of a shed petal with a mono, a 300 win mag hit at 25 ft